Trouble pointing boot.ini to XP \NTLDR [Solved]

loserkidlots

Main OS: Vista
Newly Installed OS: XP

stuck on step 6:

6) If the XP boot option tries, but fails to boot successfully,

Follow the advice in the wiki XP troubleshooter which contains each of the possible errors you might encounter and how to fix them.

If you've followed the advice in 5 above, but not used EasyBCD 2.0 the only errors you'll probably see will all have the same cause, namely the copy of boot.ini which is in the "active" "system" partition (see 3 above) is not pointing to the XP partition. Get a copy of EasyBCD 2.0 and let it fix things for you

EasyBCD 2.0 will configure boot.ini for you automatically as you add an entry for XP to the Vista BCD, or you can invoke the auto-configurator directly from the "Tools" dropdown menu. The other boot files will be automatically copied to the correct location at the same time. There is no longer any need to copy them manually.

Added path for Win XP through EasyBCD 1.7.2, so it was not automatically configured,
found that 2.0 can auto-configure, selected the correct option, but same results as previous.

Here's a screenshot to lessen confusion
easybcd.jpg

Love the program, and the great support. and iReboot is GREAT!

Addendum:

Of course, the solution was right under my nose.
(solution if others are stuck)

"As this error message says, NTLDR could not be located. Make sure the Windows XP entry in EasyBCD points to the system drive and keep in mind that this is not necessarily the same as the drive that Windows XP is installed to."
AKA: i had easyBCD set to try and boot XP from the partisan i installed it on; J.
And of course, the Boot.ini file it's looking for is under C:\boot.ini.
Feeling like a genius and 3/4 right now.

Last edited:
Welcome to NST, loserkidlots :smile:

Glad you figured your issue out. Don't beat yourself over it, a lot of people make that mistake. You were bright enough to read the fine print and resolve it for yourself :smile:

Back