Trying to dualboot xp with vista

Greetings all,

The 1st thing I want to say is that I only know very little about such things.

With that said, I'd like to install XP as a secondary OS.
My new comp is a Gateway FX7026. It came with 2 hard drives so I'd like to install XP onto the 2nd drive instead of partitioning the C drive.
Please feel free to let me know if this is the wrong thing to do :wink:

I attempted to just install XP a few times , but whenever I try it , It gets tho the point where it says starting windows & then I get an error that says the app has been shutdown to prevent damage to the system.

I've tried XP & XP64 bit, Not sure exactly which 1 I should use. I'd think XP 64would be the wiser choice but would be satisfied with either.

The system came with Vista 64 bit & has no restore CD so I'd really like to leave it intact if possible.

If someone here could give me a step by step as to how to make this work , I'd be forever in your debt. :smile:

If you disconnect your Vista drive and do a clean format/install of XP on your new hard disk, till it boots successfully as an independent system, then reconnect Vista as the 1st boot drive, you should avoid any need to repair Vista's boot. (inevitable if you repartition one HDD and add XP).
Once you reboot Vista, you can copy the 3 XP boot files across to its root, correct the new copy of boot.ini to point at the other disk, and use EasyBCD to add the XP entry into Vista's BCD, completing your dual boot fairly painlessly.
Remember that a Vista /XP dual boot will result in the destruction of Vista's restore points every time you boot XP, unless you take steps to hide Vista from XP.
Read the "Vista Hide 'n Seek" (HnS) sticky thread, to see how to avoid the problem.
You could also use HnS to automate your dual boot for you at the point where you have two independent systems installed on their own disks.
Just download and run it on Vista, tell it which disk is which, and it will do everything for you.

Last edited:
I'd like to thank you all for the fast & informative replies.

It's getting late here now so I don't want to attempt this right now but I will certainly let you know how it works out .

I've tried both of the options that have been suggested here & still getting
"windows has been shutdown to prevent damage to the system" whatever I try.

This was the 1st time I took the cover off of this comp & discovered that both of the disks are sata & my board has no ide. I don't know if this is causing my problem or not.

Like I said , I'm by far no expert with this kind of thing, so I am completely at a loss here.

Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated . :grinning:

Can you post a screenshot of your disk management so we can see what's where ?
You don't say whether the 2nd hard disk already has something on it which is being protected. Did it come pre-installed ? Is it an OEM recovery facility ? or just a blank disk you should be able to do what you like with ?
No problem being all SATA, just the opposite. A mixture can cause more confusion.

I attempted to just install XP a few times , but whenever I try it , It gets tho the point where it says starting windows & then I get an error that says the app has been shutdown to prevent damage to the system.

Hey Onion Knight, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Can you clarify exactly where it is that this error message appears?

I boot the CD just fine, It goes through the motions of asking for 3rd party , raid ect . & just before the part where it lets you choose the partition to install to I get that message.

If you'd like , I can try it again & write down all the technical data it gives at the bottom.

Addendum:

OK , I've attempted it again with the same result.

setup starts & runs normally until

"setup is starting windows"

Then I get a blue screen that says

"a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Technical info:

*** STOP: 0x0000007(0XFFFFFADF92A323C0,0XFFFFFFFFC0000034,0X0000000000000000,0X0000000000000000)."

The 2nd hard drive came with the system out of the box. It is labeled L: & I have formatted it NTFS.

There is a restore partition in C: that I haven't tampered with in any way & would prefer not to if at all possible.

Last edited:
I wrote it down exactly as it was & double checked it & it does look like I omitted that B... Doh!

I use norton internet security that came with this comp a month ago & have it fully updated & it finds no viruses.
I'm not doubting your judgment, I'm just a bit frustrated with this issue & am about to take my comp to a shop & have them do it.

I waited a very long time to get a really nice computer. As I understand it, this model sells out as soon as it hits the shelves & other than it running Vista & this issue I've been extremely pleased with it .

Anyway,
Thank you all once again for the help. :happy:

Last edited:
Hello,

Norton is referred to by many as the virus. Not the antivirus. I would seriously suggest something like AVG or Avast. Possibly even NOD32. They are much better. :wink:

Cheers,
Mak

XP won't run on RAID drives, use the RAID utility by typing Ctrl I when prompted on startup. Then delete RAID partition then go into BIOS and set the drives to be used as IDE drives, then load XP. CAUTION THIS WILL MAKE IT IMPOSSIBLE TO RUN VISTA ON THE PC!

Back