trying to repair my vista mbr after removing linux partition

tommason

Hi,
I have had vista installed for a while on my computer and recently decided to try dual booting ubuntu. Stupidly, after some time trying to get ubuntu running, I gave up and deleted the linux partition. This has left me with 'Grub' (the ubuntu linux boot loader) trying to load and not letting me run vista as it changes the mbr.

One of the reasons that i deleted the ubuntu partition was that it wasn't allowing me to boot into vista. It also wasn't allowing me to boot into ubuntu leaving me OSless
sad.gif

The ubuntu live CD works fine, but the vista installation CD does nothing, after :
verifying dmi pool data......
i get:
press any key to boot from cd......
i press a key and get a black screen and then the computer resets and starts afresh.....

Someone suggested that easybcd could do the trick, however, I've never used it before and really don't know where to start...can i make a bootable floppy and access my mbr like that?

Any help would be much appreciated, as I'm a bit of a noob when dealing with the more complex tinkering with windows and mbrs etc.

Cheers!

Tom
smile.gif

Hi tommason, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Do you have a Windows XP CD? Does can you boot from there into the Windows XP recovery console?

How To Fix - Try This Dude

Dear Tom
UR BOUND TO RUN INTO THIS, ESPECIALLY IF TRYING TO DUAL BOOT.
SOME DVD VERSIONS FAIL TO FIX VISTA LOADER OR MBR SO DO THIS.
WORKED FOR VISTA ULTIMATE, SAME FOR ALL VERSIONS THOUGH, as well as 32 & 64 Bits

BOOT VISTA DVD
RUN REPAIR.
OPEN CMD PROMPT
TYPE:

BCDEDIT / EXPORT C:\BCD_BACKUP
C:
CD\
CD BOOT
attrib -r -a -s -h
ren c:\boot\bcd.old
bootrec /rebuildbcd
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /mbr
exit

DONE, just reboot now
ADAM BALE

I have the same issue. I installed Linux onto a flashdrive but installed the grub loader onto the MBR by mistake.
Every thing works okay but I have to have the stick in and go through the rigmarole of the grub loading then selecting to boot Vista.
I do not have the Vista DVD as it is preinstalled, also I have tried the F8 option but nothing happens.
Any help much appreciated as I really don't want to reinstall Vista using the HD recovery as I have 500gigs nearly full to capacity.
Thanks.

Cancel that I have just seen the Vista Recovery Disc that you guys are hosting thanks.

Last edited:
Back