MikeP

I have two disks with the following partitions:

Disk 0:
CleanXP (H: )
Vista (V: )

Disk 1:
Apps (C: )
WinXP (F: )

Now, in EasyBCD I thought this would be easy to set up. I just added the H: and F: drives for the 2 XP installs and saved the changes. But when I reboot, no matter if I choose the H: or F: option, I always get booted into the H: partition. Why isn't it letting me boot the F: partition?

Note that Disk 1 has a Boot.ini file that works if I tell my motherboard to boot disk 1 before disk 0. So it seems like the boot configuration for each drive is set properly. Any ideas?

Troubleshooting Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

My guess is that the boot.ini file to load Windows is setup wrong. It is reading the disc they are installed on as disc 0 instead of disc 1 which they are now. You will have to edit the boot.ini file to correct this issue.

That page in the wiki is common problems that have come up and the fixes for them. See if any of them resolve your issue.

Could also be that you did not move over the NTLDR and NTDETECT along with the boot.ini files which are needed on the active system drive.

Mak's right, this a boot.ini issue.
If you read the main documentation for XP at Windows XP - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki you'll see that you have to go through a second NTLDR menu to get to a different XP (by using boot.ini).

Another option is to use Vista HnS, which will put all entries on one boot menu.

Back