Two active partitions possible?

davidm71

Hi,

I was wondering if its possible to install vista to one of two hard drives (while the 2nd is unplugged) and then unplug the first and plug the second in where you would once again install vista. That way could you have two independant installations with their own bootloader? Such that setting which ever drive in bios as 1st boot drive would select which one boots?

Thanks.

Yes, that is of course possible.
Once you do that, you can also add a Vista entry to the BCD of the drive which is 1st in the bios boot sequence, so you can boot both from a single menu, as well.

Tried that...

Yes, that is of course possible.
Once you do that, you can also add a Vista entry to the BCD of the drive which is 1st in the bios boot sequence, so you can boot both from a single menu, as well.

Well I installed vista64 to a lone hard drive, then pluged my array back in and switched the boot order such that the array was the 1st in the bios boot list, set it as active, and installed win 7 to the array. Now by going into bios and swapping the boot order I can get either or to boot. Heres the problem,

I tried to use easybcd to add the other partition into its boot list, and when I rebooted and selected the new install of either win7 or vista, the bootloader would complain that bootmgr has security issues and that I should run the recovery CD. So I removed the 2nd entries and I still can boot into each stand alone install, but can't figure out how to add each independant installation into the others bcd store....

Thanks.

Vista sometimes thinks W7's bootloader is bad (invalid digital signature).
Boot the other way round (put W7 1st in BIOS and add a Vista entry to W7)
That way works (W7 has no illusions about Vista)

Back