Two ireboot icons on Notification Tray

Jimbo292

Hi

I've searched to see if this issue has already been reported and I can't find it anywhere, so if it has please forgive me, but I would be keen to fix it on my PC too.

I have two ireboot icons on my Notification Tray (see attached jpg). I only want one but the two of them appear every time I reboot the PC into Win7.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate Build 7600 with all MS patches and updates applied.

I can right-click one of the ireboot icons and exit it that way but I'd much rather stop the two of them appearing (call me a pedant!).

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but when I reinstall back come the two icons.

I have tried clearing the icon cache from the registry by going to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\LocalSettings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify

and deleting both IconStreams and PasteIconsStream, but this doesn't seem to work.

I have also tried turning the icons off by going to the Properties section of the Notification area and selecting the option to hide the icon, but if I do it that way it hides both icons.

Is there a way to stop one of the icons appearing and keep one?

Thanks!

Attachments

• two icons.jpg
    two icons.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 0
Hi,

It sounds like iReboot is registered twice to run at startup, possibly in two different places.

Download the excellent Startup Control Panel from here: Mike Lin's Home Page

You'll find (across the many tabs) two references to iReboot. Delete one of them and you're good to go.

Note that I have no idea how this happened - never been reported before!

Two iReboot Icons

Hi

Thanks very much for your reply, much appreciated.

Unfortunately that doesn't appear to have fixed the issue, but maybe it will get us closer to what is going on.

I downloaded Startup Control Panel from Mike Lin's Home Page as suggested and I found that there were indeed two entries for iReboot, one in Startup (user) and another one in Startup (common), please see attached jpegs.

So I thought "aha, this is it I've found the solution", unfortunately when I unticked the iReboot in Startup (user) then the entry in Startup (common) disappeared too.

I restarted my computer just to be sure, but when it came back up again there was no iReboot anywhere to be seen and the both entries had completely disappeared from the Startup Control Panel application as shown in the attached jpegs (in fact they had both disappeared before I restarted, but I went ahead with a full restart just to be sure).

So I tried to get just one instance of iReboot to start another way. I went to the folder where it is located and created a shortcut of iReboot.exe and placed the shortcut in my Startup folder and then restarted my computer and now both icons are back on the notification tray again - arghhhhh!

As you can also see from my attached jpegs there are two entries for iReboot in the NeoSmart Technologies/iReboot programs folder. This was probably caused by all of the installing and uninstalling that I've been doing. I can't get rid of one without getting rid of both, so I'm guessing this is part of the issue, but I just can't work out how to fix it.

I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong or not, I’ve a lot of experience with computers (but not with Windows 7) and I have never seen anything like this before. It's not the World's biggest problem but it frustrates me and it would be nice to get to the bottom of it.

Thanks again for your time and trouble.

Attachments

• Startup User.jpg
    Startup User.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Startup Common.jpg
    Startup Common.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Startup User Empty.jpg
    Startup User Empty.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Startup Common Empty.jpg
    Startup Common Empty.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
  • two icons again.jpg
    two icons again.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Start Menu.jpg
    Start Menu.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 0
Use regedit
search on key "run"
F3 through all the registry run keys (and look at the "runonce" keys next in line)
delete all the dross which gets put there without your knowledge or consent and just leave one iReboot
Check Start > All Programs > Startup too

Interesting.. interesting.

Does this happen if you add a different program to the startup list? Does it end up turning on twice? (Notepad.exe for instance)

Two iReboot Icons - SOLVED

Hi Guys

Thanks very much for all your help, it's fixed! I'll explain how...

Thanks Terry60, but there was nothing that shouldn't have been there in any of the 'Run' or 'RunOnce' folders in my registry. I carefully checked them all and they are pretty spick and span, which is probably down to the fact that this is fairly new Windows 7 installation and I am a fanatic about not installing bloatware applications. I really can't abide anything that takes up system resources or is doing something in the background that I am not aware of. Hence why I am going demented trying to get rid of an extra icon! But you were sort of on the right track when you mentioned the Startup folder, I'll explain what I mean...

Of course I had checked my Startup folder and of course there was only one instance of iReboot in there, so I didn't think the problem lay there, but Computer Guru asked what happened if I put another application in there like Notepad. Well I thought I knew what the answer would be (nothing), but I had nothing to lose, so I gave it a shot and rebooted the PC.

Would you believe it, when it restarted there were 2 instances of Notepad running! How could this be? So I researched (Googled!) the issue and found this brilliant article: http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article07-300

I followed the article word for word and this fixed this double icon issue. The gist of it is that some pedantic Windows users (ahem!) try to consolidate their personal Startup folder and the All Users Startup folder, but Windows still thinks it's looking at two different folders, and thus holds two copies of all the shortcuts contained therein. So even though you can only see only copy of the Startup folder there are really two and the second one is invisible!

The way to solve it is to (follow the article), which in my case meant opening regedit and going to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ Shell Folders
and correcting the Startup value and then going to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ SOFTWARE\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ explorer\ User Shell Folders and correcting the startup value here as well and then rebooting.

Once rebooted only one Notepad and more importantly only one iReboot… wahaay!

So thanks very much, it turns out it was my fault all along for messing about with Startup folders (I just can’t help myself I like my computers to be neat and tidy!), it was certainly nothing nothing to do with iReboot, which so far seems perfect. The issue was 'PEBCAK' (Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard)!

But I’m glad that we got it fixed, as hopefully this will help other (pedantic) people that might run into the same problem.

Attachments

• Start Up Folder with Notepad.jpg
    Start Up Folder with Notepad.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1
  • H_C_U Shell Folders.jpg
    H_C_U Shell Folders.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 2
  • H_C_U user shell folders.jpg
    H_C_U user shell folders.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 2
  • two becomes one.jpg
    two becomes one.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 0
Excellent news and wonderful (detailed) post there!

I realize I never did officially welcome you to the community - so welcome aboard, Jimbo :smile:

You'll find a few other pedants and neatness freaks here, so you should fit in just fine.
(We're all Monk fans - enough said)

Back