Ubuntu advanced button

joerohmer

I have Vista Home Premium installed on my laptop. I am trying to install Ubuntu 7.10 to have a dual boot. I have followed the Ubuntu installation guide on this site. However, when I get to step 4 - click the advanced button - there is no advanced button. The installation setup goes straight from editing partitions to user setups. I have tried going ahead anyway but Ubuntu writes over the Vista bootloader in the MBR. Any help in how to prevent this would be very welcome.

I'm using a cd I burned from the Ubuntu 7.10 iso I downloaded from the Ubuntu website. Is there another it would be better to use?

I don't know what to tell you, that button must be there... Make sure you follow the steps to the letter (esp. the part about *manual* partitioning) and try again.

I have followed the instructions to the letter and the button is definitely not there. That isn't the only way my install differs from the instructions on this site. For example, there is no "ext3fs" in the file system type, I have to choose "ext3" (without the fs); also, the manual partitioning wizard won't let me continue after designating Ext3 with"/" as the mount point because it says I need to designate a swap file, which I do.

Is there another way I can change where grub is installed? If there isn't or you cannot help me further I appreciate the time you have taken to try.

You dont use the ext3fs cause the fs stand for File System. So you would choose ext3 for the format type.

The instructions are in the Wiki on how to change the GRUB. Look where you are installing Linux. It gives a sdxx or a hdxx label to the drive. That is what you need to know to install GRUB somehwere else. So if you wish to put it on the first drive frist partition of a SATA setup it would be sda1.

So look at the drive setup when you are the part of the setup where you choose where to instsll Ubuntu. Where ever you wish to install the GRUB look at that drive label. Be it sdxx or hdxx (Where the xx represents the drive number and partition number respectively). Then just put that in the Advanced Box at the GRUB isntall stage. All done.

As I said in my original post: the point is that there is no Advanced button - and so no advanced box. If it was there I would know what to put in it but the Advanced button never appears during the install process.

Do you see the screen that the "Advanced" button *SHOULD* be on? (The screenshot is in the wiki)

The Missing Advanced button...

I have Vista Home Premium installed on my laptop. I am trying to install Ubuntu 7.10 to have a dual boot. I have followed the Ubuntu installation guide on this site. However, when I get to step 4 - click the advanced button - there is no advanced button. The installation setup goes straight from editing partitions to user setups. I have tried going ahead anyway but Ubuntu writes over the Vista bootloader in the MBR. Any help in how to prevent this would be very welcome.

I found the same thing but carried on with the user setup and THEN it went to the disk partitioning screen as described in the Ubuntu Installation Guide on this site. Sadly I'm now trying to figure out why it always asks for a system disk when I try to boot into Ubuntu... Vista works fine.

Back