Ubuntu install, help w/GRUB

Hi there.

What do I have to type in during the install if I want to place GRUB outside the MBR? (Intending to use NTLDR) Ubuntu, according to its installer is going into partition 6, but from my standpoint that's the third partition. So.... what do I specify? (hd0,2) or, what?

Kinda lost here.

Ah, alright. But for clarification, what values would I use for x and y? I tried a fair few but the installer always failed when it got to installing GRUB.

Addendum:

Anybody? Have I hit the notorious "GRUB will not install" bug?

Last edited:
You would specify hd(0,5) as partitions are counted from 0 (Zero) not 1. So saying that it is going on partition 6 really mean number 5 since you count starting at 0.

But this will return with GRUB error to install as specified by Guru. The sdxy that he is refering to is specified by this screen of the Ubuntu installer:

http://neosmart.net/wiki/download/thumbnails/9764870/Create%20Partition.png

Step 3 of the Wiki

Ubuntu - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

If you look at the screen you will see that it says sda2. The a2 would satisfy the xy parts of the post that Guru stated above. So if it is your first drive it would be sda6. So you have to make sure you pay attention when you go thru the installer for that specific info so you can get the location.

As stated we knew that using the hd(x,y) method would fail. That is why Guru suggested you use the hdxy method in the first place. :wink:

So yes i would suggest you try that method.

Last edited:
The screenshots in the Wiki use reiserfs, but the text states explicitly to stick with ext3fs.

(screenshots are from an earlier version where reiserfs was the choice)

Well the only option you have to redownload teh Disc or get one sent to you from Ubuntu. Cause we have given you all the info needed to make this work. IT doesnt matter if you use ext3 or reisferfs. We have given you the the answers to where GRUB shoudl be installed. So the only thing left is to try a new disc. Sorry.

You are deleting the old entry and creating a new one (without selecting "GRUB is not installed") in EasyBCD every time you reinstall, right?

Back