Ubuntu/Vista Dual Boot Problem

Ok, here are my details:

I installed Vista, and it's working fine. Then I installed Ubuntu 7.04 on a separate partition I created on the same SATA HDD just for that purpose. The good news is, I could boot Ubuntu & Vista perfectly from GRUB.

The problem started when I decided that it would be a good idea to install EasyBCD in Vista, so I could boot from the Vista boot loader (It's prettier, in my opinion). So I followed the instructions posted by CG (I don’t have the link for that, sorry!) and did the following:

1) Opened EasyBCD
2) Re-Installed Vista Bootloader
3) Created a new entry (Linux type GRUB)
4) Rebooted

At that point, it looked like it worked! I see the Vista Bootloader, and Vista boots fine, so I tried Ubuntu. That’s when I get the error “Windows failed to load, could be because of new hardware, blah blah blah.” Nothing I do seems to help at all. When I reinstalled the Vista Bootloader did I overwrite GRUB completely? I guess I just figured it would take over, not kill it. What do I do at this point? Do I need to reinstall GRUB on the root of the Linux install instead of the MBR, and if so, how in the world do I do that? Or am I totally on the wrong track?

Thanks!

-Tony

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tony, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Unfortunately there is no way for the Vista bootloader to "take control" of GRUB if GRUB is installed to the MBR. MBR is kind of like a holy land - everyone wants it for his or herself!

Anyway, in the past we would have to told you to get that Live CD out and spend an hour reinstalling GRUB (to the bootsector this time), but EasyBCD 1.61 BETA has a new feature for "GRUB-less install"

Download EasyBCD 1.61 BETA from the stickied thread in this forum, and install it.

EasyBCD | Add/Remove | Linux/BSD | "I don't have GRUB installed" | Add Entry

That should do the trick.

Thanks for the quick reply!

I followed your instructions with high hopes, rebooted, and choose to boot Linux. A few lines of text flew by, and then halted at the GRUB> prompt. Did I do something wrong? Thanks again...

Stupid question: When you say "C:\NST\menu.lst" you're talking about Vista, right? If so, I don't have a directory called "NST" in my C: drive. Or are you talking about Ubuntu? If so, I don't think I know how to look at my C: drive...

Here are the contents of my "menu.lst" file:

Code:
# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at D:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# [URL]http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD[/URL]

>.<

Sh!t.... I made a mistake with the last build!

Replace the contents of menu.lst with this and save:
Code:
# NeoSmart NeoGrub Bootloader Configuration File
#
# This is the NeoGrub configuration file, and should be located at C:\NST\menu.lst
# Please see the EasyBCD Documentation for information on how to create/modify entries:
# http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /boot/grub/menu.lst
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst

# All your boot are belong to NeoSmart!

Worked like a charm, thanks! You are the BCD King!

Now I've just got to figure out how to change the auto-select time for Ubuntu from 5seconds to 1 second or less (that way it looks almost instananeous when "Ubuntu" is chosen from the bootloader screen...)

Am I just being nitpicky now? :wink:

lol, thanks.

To change that: from within Ubuntu load /boot/grub/menu.lst and change the "timeout" value.

To change that: from within Ubuntu load /boot/grub/menu.lst and change the "timeout" value.

I can't seem to do that- The permissions are read only. And I can't change them, because I'm supposedly not the owner. I think I'm stuck...

Back