Unable to boot laptop

I have got a Sony Vaio, which has been working pefectly well for the last 4-5 months. A few days ago the laptop froze and I have nt been able to access windows since. My original error message was something like file\windows\system32\winload.exe with a status error message.

I than ran the recovery disc and followed the instructions as provided on this website. The error message has now changed to:-

windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.

This error can be caused by unplugging a removable storage device such as an external usbd drive which the device is in use, or by faulty hardware such as a harddrive or cd rom drive that is failing. make sure any removeble storage is properly connected and then rstart your computer.

if you continue to receive this message, contact the hardware manufacturer.

I dont think any discs were provided with the laptop and I am still awaiting a response from Sony. I dont have anything connected to the PC. I have tried following the command promt instructions but I just get an error message "invalid switch"

Any Ideas???
info: an unexpected I/0 error has occured

Hi Dwayne, welcome to NST. (how are the teeth btw ! ?)
Have you tried F10 to access the Sony hidden recovery partition ?
I quote from their website.

All recent VAIO models come preinstalled with Hard Disk Drive Recovery system. This means that the recovery image is located in a hidden partition on the hard disk. Your documentation pack includes instructions on how to recover your system from the recovery partition, and how to burn the recovery image on optical media (using the VAIO Recovery Utility).
Typically the HDDR recovery menu can be started by pressing F10 at boot time.
This means that there are no recovery media on optical disc that come with your VAIO.

In case you need recovery discs, and :
  • you do not have the possibility (anymore) to create them, or
  • you have deleted the recovery partition, or
  • you have lost the original supplied recovery discs
Please contact VAIO Link for support or go to the following link: How can I create a recovery disc set for my VAIO that has HDDR?

Hi Dwayne, welcome to NST. (how are the teeth btw ! ?)
Have you tried F10 to access the Sony hidden recovery partition ?
I quote from their website.

All recent VAIO models come preinstalled with Hard Disk Drive Recovery system. This means that the recovery image is located in a hidden partition on the hard disk. Your documentation pack includes instructions on how to recover your system from the recovery partition, and how to burn the recovery image on optical media (using the VAIO Recovery Utility).
Typically the HDDR recovery menu can be started by pressing F10 at boot time.
This means that there are no recovery media on optical disc that come with your VAIO.

In case you need recovery discs, and :
  • you do not have the possibility (anymore) to create them, or
  • you have deleted the recovery partition, or
  • you have lost the original supplied recovery discs
Please contact VAIO Link for support or go to the following link: How can I create a recovery disc set for my VAIO that has HDDR?

Yea, itr brings up a similar message. I have also tried booting via safe mode but, again, still same problem.

Any idea??

Back