Unable to fix bootup problem with EasyBCD - help needed

I have a laptop which was preinstalled with Windows Vista. However, I have been having this Windows Boot Manager error regarding files missing/corrupted whenever I boot up.

File:ntoskrnl.exe

I couldn't do a system restore as there was no restore point to begin with.
In command prompt, I did a chkdsk C:/R and got no problems with the check.

I managed to install Windows 7 on a separate partition to boot up and installed EasyBCD.

I followed the instructions from the following links

http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Repairing+the+Windows+Bootloader

I did everything but still nothing changed. The problem remained. Am I doing something wrong? How can I make EasyBCD fix my problem?

For those interested, this is my debug info in EasyBCD.

Windows Boot Manager--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device boot
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {fbe604a7-70d5-11e1-9889-00238b71ed1f}
resumeobject {1f8184a2-14de-11df-9734-f08c6d8c50b0}
displayorder {fbe604a7-70d5-11e1-9889-00238b71ed1f}
{657e6351-70d7-11e1-84b3-00238b71ed1f}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 10

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {fbe604a7-70d5-11e1-9889-00238b71ed1f}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows 7
locale en-US
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {a1c6f392-70d6-11e1-84b3-806e6f6e6963}

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {657e6351-70d7-11e1-84b3-00238b71ed1f}
device partition=H:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
osdevice partition=H:
systemroot \Windows

My hard drive letter for windows 7 is C: and windows vista was changed to H: via the windows 7 partition manager. If you guys need any info to fix my problem, pls let me know. :brows:

DO note that my Windows 7 OS is running perfectly fine and the problem lies with booting up windows vista.

Last edited:
No point trying to fix the boot with EasyBCD from a working W7. It won't have anything to fix since the W7 boot works perfectly.
The Vista problem probably won't be fixed by booting from your Vista DVD and trying "startup repair" either, because loading the kernel is generally regarded as coming after what we loosely call the "boot" phase (the bit that startup repair is concerned with) i.e. phase 2 below. (you are experiencing a failure in 3 or 4).
What did you do before this happened ?
If the failure occurred after running Windows Update, you can get one-to-one free support directly from Microsoft.

Boot entails:
1.After pressing the power button, the PC’s firmware initiates a Power-On Self Test (POST) and loads firmware settings. This pre-boot process ends when a valid system disk is detected.
2.Firmware reads the master boot record (MBR), and then starts Bootmgr.exe. Bootmgr.exe finds and starts the Windows loader (Winload.exe) on the Windows boot partition.
3.Essential drivers required to start the Windows kernel are loaded and the kernel starts to run, loading into memory the system registry hive and additional drivers that are marked as BOOT_START.
4.The kernel passes control to the session manager process (Smss.exe) which initializes the system session, and loads and starts the devices and drivers that are not marked BOOT_START.
5.Winlogon.exe starts, the user logon screen appears, the service control manager starts services, and any Group Policy scripts are run. When the user logs in, Windows creates a session for that user.
6.Explorer.exe starts, the system creates the desktop window manager (DWM) process, which initializes the desktop and displays it.

Hey Terry. Thanks for the long reply and explaining how my problem isn't a boot problem, and thus, cant be solved by EasyBCD. It's unfortunate. I have always thought it was a bootup problem. I am not sure whether windows update was updating files prior to this since I always have automatic updates enabled but that might be a possible cause. Do you know how I can contact microsoft regarding the free support?

I believe I did a defrag on my disk prior to this incident (and possibly power went off during defrag) but I don't know if this is related. Since EasyBCD can't help me, does anyone know how can I solve this issue through self-help? I have some paid software licenses costing thousands of dollars in it and even though I have windows 7, I might have to pay for new product keys in order to install onto windows 7.

Last edited:
Follow the links from WUD "update history" for a MS email address if that was the problem, but if a power loss during defrag is responsible, then the corruption of system modules could be extensive, with ntoskrnl just being the tip of an iceberg.
You can use your W7 to rescue whatever personal data is still intact on the Vista partition, but after that your quickest way back is probably the "factory reset" which will be a part of the pre-installed OS.

Back