Unique situation regarding startup repair on a USB drive on MacBook Pro

sargentpilcher

Hello all, I don't know exactly what happened but my windows no longer boots up. I have a MacBook Pro late 2013, with OSX (What I'm using now) on the internal drive. I then use a USB drive to boot into windows (It's a windows to go drive) for gaming, and windows related stuff. Unfortunately I started getting error messages about the drive not booting up as seen in the attached images.
IMG_0968.JPG
IMG_0970.JPG

I did some googling, and Easy recovery essentials comes up in google, I figure 20$ is worth a shot, let's try it. I pull out my old windows laptop to make the USB drive as per the instructions, and it works fine, but then when I try to boot into it on my MacBook it never fully gets into the application. I never get a GUI like I see in the descriptions and guides, but I see this

IMG_0975.JPG

and it freezes on this step, it doesn't go beyond it. It doesn't seem to be working very well (No such file or directory found, and invalid argument over and over), and I'm wondering if it's because it's trying to repair my OSX partition, and not my USB drive? Is there a way I can get it to specify my drive in the command line?

Thanks for your help on this matter!

I've sent a text to the owner asking for comment. FYI my Windows multi-boot often lands on the blue screen. In my case it's overheating caused by a faulty case fan. That BSOD could mean anything. I find it doesn't appear once I have that fan working.

Yeah, but this post is not about
I've sent a text to the owner asking for comment. FYI my Windows multi-boot often lands on the blue screen. In my case it's overheating caused by a faulty case fan. That BSOD could mean anything. I find it doesn't appear once I have that fan working.
This post is not about how to fix the BSOD but about how to fix the never ending loop with EasyRE boot image "Testing drive /dev/ada*p* (msdosfs).. mount_msdosfs: /dev/ada*p*: Invalid argument"

Yeah, but this post is not about

This post is not about how to fix the BSOD but about how to fix the never ending loop with EasyRE boot image "Testing drive /dev/ada*p* (msdosfs).. mount_msdosfs: /dev/ada*p*: Invalid argument"
I know. That was simply an aside. I’ve asked the developef to answee you.

I figured out a workaround for Easy Recovery Essentials for Windows 10 (works only if your Motherboard has legacy CSM/BIOS support):

1. On a working Windows PC: Format the USB to FAT32 (not NTFS!)
2. On a working Windows PC: At next, use "Rufus" (no other tool, no multiboot solution like Ventoy/Yumi/Easy2Boot and escpecially NOT the praised "Easy USB Creator"!, but Rufus) to make it copy the bootable EasyRE ISO to USB.
3. On defect PC: From boot menu select your USB device (not the uefi one if there are multiple entries). It should boot without interruptions or loops within 1 min. to the GUI of Easy Recovery Essentials. The "Automatic Repair" should do the trick (at far EasyRe detected a Windows 10 entry on your disk).

A: If it does not work cause EasyRE cannot repair Windows and the BIOS is not hardware related, there is another (complicated) solution that works almost always and no matter whether its Windows 7/8/10/11: From within LIVE image make an offline 1:1 disk copy of Windows to a seccond device (this is NOT a backup) and unplug it after that, formatting your primary disk and reinstall Windows on the same internal primary disk with a genereal Windows Setup ISO. At last, from within offline LIVE image delete the fresh installed (big) data partition - it contains folders like "Program Files", "Users" and "Windows" - and then copy the (big) data partition from your seccond device only(!) to the primary disks empty partition (that one you just deleted). After that your BSOD should be gone. If not, EasyRE will do the rest - this time it should work then.

I suffer from that too - no clue what I've to do to fix that :frowning:

Are you also on a MacBook? What generation or model number? How was the USB created?

EasyRE lists the files on the volume when it finds it (you can see "EFI" in the screenshot above) so you can see which drives it is seeing and which it isn't.

您也在使用 MacBook 吗?第几代或型号?USB是如何创建的?

EasyRE 在找到卷时会列出该卷上的文件(您可以在上面的屏幕截图中看到“EFI”),以便您可以看到它正在看到哪些驱动器以及没有看到哪些驱动器。
我还买了技术员专业版,没有给出下载连接。我发了一封电子邮件给你没有回复。电子邮件中总共发送了 10 份。发帖后没人回复?我的订单号是 6F837B1FD0F8DD45。卖起来都难,售后服务又如何?

Are you also on a MacBook? What generation or model number? How was the USB created?

EasyRE lists the files on the volume when it finds it (you can see "EFI" in the screenshot above) so you can see which drives it is seeing and which it isn't.
I also bought a professional version of the technician, and the download connection is not given. I sent an email to give you no reply. A total of 10 copies were sent in the email. No one responded after a post? My order number is 6F837B1FD0F8DD45. It is difficult to sell it, no matter after -sales service?

Back