Upgrading to Win 7

Severvip

I can't boot XP after Upgrading Vista to Windows 7.

My laptop was a dual boot, with Vista and XP. There were three total partitions on one drive. Vista was first, followed by a recovery partition, and XP was installed onto the last partition.

Everything was working just fine with the Vista XP Dual Boot. But last night I formatted the Vista Partition Erasing everything and then I installed Windows 7 in its place. Now I can't boot into XP. The XP partition is still there. And I can access all the files, but I can't get it to boot. So what am I doing wrong and how can I get it to boot???

Hello ServerIP, welcome to NST.
Get EasyBCD 2.0, add an XP entry (Type: "../NT/XP"), and let it auto-configure. Then you'll have a multiboot.

Vista must have been "system" (meaning it contained the boot files of both systems) before you formatted it, so once you did, you lost the XP boot, because you lost its boot files. However, auto-configure with EasybCD, and you'll be booting again in no time. :smile:

Cheers.

Jake

It should have created the dual-boot. If you upgraded rather than placing them on another partition than you have overwritten your XP install.

It should have created the dual-boot. If you upgraded rather than placing them on another partition than you have overwritten your XP install.
Not quite accurate, Justin...
He said he wiped the Vista (not XP) partition, and then installed Win 7 on the former Vista partition. That means his XP is still intact, just the boot files of XP are gone.

Last edited:
Back