Urgent: Bootmng is missing

Fortune

Guys I really need your help.

I have just installed Windows 7 on a Hradware Raid 0 Volume. My existing Windows Vista is located on my C:\ drive (not RAID). I rebooted and my systemm reported that the BootManager was missing. I used the Vista repair utility and afeter a number of attempts I managed to access Vista. I have downloaded the latest beta of EasyBDC and am attempting to rebuild my Vista Bootloader.

Results are posted below:

EasyBCD has frozen and I am reluctant to reboot as I am concerned that the windows boot manager device appears to be unknown.

I wish to duel boot Vista 32 and Windows 7 64bit. Can you please advise.

Much appreciated
John

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device unknown
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
displayorder {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 5

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {e8709fb6-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {e8709fb7-fa5f-11db-be4d-e219ece5282e}
nx OptOut

Hello Fortune, welcome to NST

If you can boot into Vista without the CD in the drive than bootmgr is working properly, though the unkown for device under the bootmgr entry is wierd. Bootmgr is probably on your C: drive as well. Open an elevated command prompt:

bcdedit /set {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795} device partition=C:

Hi Kairozamorro, I thank you for your speedy responce.

Since posting the above thread it apprears that I am not able to boot into Vista without the Vista installation disc in the drive. bootrgr is also in the root directory of C:\.

I am happy to follow your advice,but would appreciate layman termenology if poss. I assume an elevated command prompt is 'run as administrator'. Once I have run this I will wait for your reply before rebooting. Cheers

Update: Having followed your advice and entered

bcdedit /set {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795} device partition=C:

EasyBCD now lists in View debug the following. I'll wait for your reply.

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
device partition=C:
locale en-US
default {491f2162-6131-11de-aaa8-c76a106a9610}
displayorder {491f2162-6131-11de-aaa8-c76a106a9610}
timeout 5
resume No

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {491f2162-6131-11de-aaa8-c76a106a9610}
device partition=C:
description Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate (recovered)
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {2723f438-60e7-11de-96f0-806e6f6e6963}

That should work, provided your C: partition is shown as "system" in Disk Management. Otherwise, you would need to point the boot manager entry at the correct "system" partition.

Disk Management is indicating that my H: drive is the system drive (this is where a copy the Window 7 installation disc is) . How do I point the boot manager at the correct entry partition 'C:' and should I delete the windows 7 .iso from the H: drive now that I have a DVD burned.

Please forgive me for taking up your time. Once I have a system up and running I will study the links you have so kindly provided.

Disk Management is indicating that my H: drive is the system drive (this is where a copy the Window 7 installation disc is) . How do I point the boot manager at the correct entry partition 'C:' and should I delete the windows 7 .iso from the H: drive now that I have a DVD burned.

Please forgive me for taking up your time. Once I have a system up and running I will study the links you have so kindly provided.
Your bootmgr entry needs to point to the partition which contains the bootmgr (which is always shown as "system" in Disk Management). If that is H, run the same command suggested above by Justin, except replacing the C: with an H:

Code:
bcdedit /set {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795} device partition=H:

Thanks so much. Before I execute this command I would like to run this past you.

I am concerned that the H: drive is a tempoary drive (and old IDE drive I use for Backups) and would much prefer the C: drive to become the system drive if this is possible. Is this something I could amend at a later stage or it this the best time to make the adjustments?

H: is your CD drive so you do not want to change it; leave the bootmgr entry pointing at C:. H: is showing as the system partition right now cause thats what you've booted from. On reboot have the disc out of the disc drive and with the bootmgr entry pointing at C: it should work.

mmm. Disk Management indicates that my K: drive is my CD drive. H: drive is as described above. However, I understand what you are saying and will reboot without CD in drive and will hopefully be OK. I will report back. Oh and I do apoligise for my spelling, .... this is all a bit nerve racking.

Thanks John

Addendum:

Ok, I tried rebooting without success:- 'bootmgr not found'. I still need to have the Vista Installation disc in my CD drive in order to access Vista. EasyBCD Debug still lists the same as in post 6. Computer mangement still reports the H drive as being the system disk. It does seem strange that when Computer Management is searching for the storage configuration it is accessing the K: CD drive.

Your thoughts?

Addendum:

I have just read 'Changing the Vista Boot Drive' at
Changing the Vista Boot Drive - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Computer Management is reporting that my H: drive is Disk 0 and my C: Drive is disc 2.

If I follow these instructions would this help?

Last edited:
Fortune;39418 [COLOR=red said:
Addendum:[/color]

I have just read 'Changing the Vista Boot Drive' at
Changing the Vista Boot Drive - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki

Computer Management is reporting that my H: drive is Disk 0 and my C: Drive is disc 2.

If I follow these instructions would this help?
Sorry for taking so long to respond. I was searching for that exact page! :brows:
Have you tried running that command with H: yet?
Yes, if you follow those instructions, you should be able to change the "system" partition from H: to C. First though (even before running the above command), try changing the boot sequence in the BIOS, to put your C: HDD first, and see if Vista boots. There's a possibility that C: was your original "system" partition, and contained bootmgr and BCD, and possibly still does...

Last edited:
Great to hear from you again. Please let me know if I am keeping you up as it is getting late, but crikey I am grateful.. My boot sequence has always remained pointing to the C: drive.

Prior to your latest reply I tried executing the commands listed in 'Changing the Vista Boot Drive' detailed on Neosmart.net pages.

The good news : As a result I am able to boot into Vista without the Vista CD in the CD drive.
The bad news: is that I am unable to load the configuration information via Computer management.

Whilst executing the commands there were a few errors relating to access denied even though I ran EBCD as administrator.???

Apoligise if I have screwed up. I do have a system backup if needed via TrueImage rescue disk!!

The list of commands are as follows

1. While in Windows, launch EasyBCD, and select "EasyBCD Power Console" from the "Utilities" page.
  2. Type the following at the command prompt window, replacing "D:\" with the letter of the drive or partition you want to become the new boot drive. Replace "/drive 0" in the second line with the number of the drive with the new boot partition. If you're not sure of the number, repeat that line each time using a new number from 0 to 5 (it won't hurt anything if you run it for the wrong drive). bootsect.exe /nt60 all /force
    mbrfix.exe /drive 0 fixmbr /vista /yes
    xcopy %systemroot%\Boot\PCAT\* D:\Boot\ /K /Y /R /H /E /I
    move D:\Boot\bootmgr D:\bootmgr
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device boot
    bcdedit /export D:\Boot\BCD
    exit
  3. Open the Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management
  4. Click on "Disk Management" in the sidebar on the left.
  5. Right click on drive D:\ (or whichever drive it is you want to become the new boot drive) and choose "Mark Partition As Active". If this option is grayed out, don't worry - that means its already active and you can skip on ahead to the next step.
  6. Close EasyBCD & restart your computer.
  7. If the new boot partition is on a different physical drive, enter your BIOS setup and change the "first boot device" to the hard disk the new boot partition is on. If you want to remove the old drive, you may do so now.

Great to hear from you again. Please let me know if I am keeping you up as it is getting late, but crikey I am grateful.. My boot sequence has always remained pointing to the C: drive.
Please reboot, and enter your BIOS, just to be certain. :wink: There's a possibility that your H: HDD is first in the boot sequence. If that is the case, then move your other one up.

I have followed your instructions and can confirm that my C: drive is first in the boot sequence.

Another problem I have in addtion to the disk management 'snap in' failing is that Visa is refusing to shutdown. I waited over ten minutes before hitting the reset button. When restarting, windows would normally report an abnormal shutdown and offer a number of options to continue. These options are no longer displayed.

What next?

Sorry, it looks like I have complicated the problem.

I have followed your instructions and can confirm that my C: drive is first in the boot sequence.

Another problem I have in addtion to the disk management 'snap in' failing is that Visa is refusing to shutdown. I waited over ten minutes before hitting the reset button. When restarting, windows would normally report an abnormal shutdown and offer a number of options to continue. These options are no longer displayed.

What next?

Sorry, it looks like I have complicated the problem.
The problem I marked in bold seems to be the usual Vista bug/quirk. :brows: I get that same problem over here too, sometimes. And then what usually happens is everything else stops responding too...but anyway, can you post the output of the EasyBCD>View Settings>Detailed (debug) mode page again, along with a screenshot of your Disk Management window? I want to see if your BCD is configured correctly.

Good Morning to you.

1) The details of the EBCD debug as requested
2) The Disk Management window is not loading. Upon selecting "'Storage' from the DM window, the system is unable to load the configuration information,,,,(see DMSConfig attachment).. I Have tried this a number of times and waited 10 minutes.

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
device boot
locale en-US
default {c6efa432-7e26-11dd-829d-c9b23d60c5c1}
resumeobject {c6efa433-7e26-11dd-829d-c9b23d60c5c1}
displayorder {c6efa432-7e26-11dd-829d-c9b23d60c5c1}
timeout 3
resume No

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {c6efa432-7e26-11dd-829d-c9b23d60c5c1}
device partition=C:
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
nx OptIn

Attachments

• DMSConfig.JPG
    DMSConfig.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 2
Run these commands:

Code:
chkdsk /r c:
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
and run Startup Repair from the Vista dvd (or our recovery disk if you don't have one).

EDIT: And I just realized that the BCD info you just posted would have been from the one on H:, not C. So please select the other BCD in EasyBCD, and post the info of that one.

Last edited:
Having a bit of trouble on this : at the administrator command prompt -

1) C:\windows\system32> Chkdsk / C:
This type of file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock Current drive.........and then stalls.

2) C:\windows\system32>bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec is not recognized as an internal or external command.......

Just read your edit: Selected the BCD from C:\Boot\BCD. The results are as follows:

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
device boot
locale en-US
default {c6efa432-7e26-11dd-829d-c9b23d60c5c1}
displayorder {c6efa432-7e26-11dd-829d-c9b23d60c5c1}
timeout 3