Urgent: Bootmng is missing

OK I have printed off Microsofts instructions fro running bootrec.exe tool.

While I am doing this your thoughts on the following:

I have noticed that my C: E: and H: all have Boot directories. Previously when running system repair from Vista DVD the repair process indicates that it repairing the E: drive.

I'll be back when I have completed your instructions. Cheers

I want to know which partition is "active" on disk 0 in the boot sequence in the BIOS. That is why I originally asked to see a screenshot of your Disk Management window, but since its having trouble getting the disk information for some reason, I had hopes the chkdsk and other commands might fix that problem. :wink:

The Vista DVD may label the drives differently than when you are in Windows normally. Its very cxonfusing I know. However you should be able to tell where the correct place is by checking to see what files/folders the drive contains. You can do this with the dir command: dir <drive letter>

Anyway, best of luck and post back the results.

I have internet access on my mphone which I am using 2 respond 2 u. I am running chkdsk on the c drive now. Ths could take an hour or so. When running system repair it only finds the op system on the e drive. is this beccause i need 2 load drivers for the silicon sata controller which my c drive is connected 2 at this point?
so grateful 4 your help as i am pretty stressed by this.

If its not seeing your system drive than yes. Go into "Repiar my computer" -> command prompt. Try "dir x:", replacing x: with various drive letters to see if you can find the correct drive. It should be outputing a list of directories and folders, which should contain Windows folders like Windows, Program Files, and Users.

OK, in response to your previous instructions.

1) Chkdsk /r C: results:- windows checked file system and found no errors : failed to transfer logged message to the event log with status 50.
2) bootrec /fixmbr - completed successfully
3) bootrec /fixboot- completed successfully
4) Startup repair
Systemdisk =\Device\Harddisk0
Windows Directory E:\windows
Autochkrun = o
No of root causes = 1

all other tests completed successfully error code = 0x0

I have rebooted by have kept my Vista CD in the drive which it appears to be accessing.
I wait for your reply before following any more instructions. Cheers John

Addendum:

Latest update:

Went into "Repair my computer" -> command prompt. Typing "dir x:", replacing x: with various drive letters: Results:

1) E: drive is my system drive with windows folders C: in Explorer
2) D: drive is an IDE drive I in Explorer
3) F: is G in Explorer
4) G: is L in Explorer and a partion of my C: drive
5) H: is the CD drive - K: in Explorer
6) K is my USB drive : o in Explorer
7) C: drive is my H: drive in Explorer
8) X: is a drive I dont regognise which is not displayed in explorer. includes dirs such as Licences , recovery, Servicing and lots of dlls.

This exercise has certainly helped address some of my confusion. Happy to provide more info.

Any indication of when you may get back to me as I am pacing up and down in front of my Computer. I don't mind waiting - don't get me wrong. It's just that I can plan my day/night around your availability. Thanks again John

Last edited:
Guys, my system was crashing so much, not shutting down properly and corrupting more an more applications., I also could not access Disk Management.

So I have performed a complete restore of the system drive and the MBR using True Image rescue disk.

Please find attached a .jpg of the Disk Mangement as requested. Addtionally I have included the debug view. I searched for a BCD in C:\boot but this did not exist.

At present I am getting the original error when rebooting. 'Bootmng not found' I am using the VIsta DVD to boot.

I beleive we are now in a better position to resolve this problem. Speak soon

Regards
John

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {491f2162-6131-11de-aaa8-c76a106a9610}
displayorder {491f2162-6131-11de-aaa8-c76a106a9610}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 5
resume No

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {491f2162-6131-11de-aaa8-c76a106a9610}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate (recovered)
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {2723f438-60e7-11de-96f0-806e6f6e6963}

Attachments

• DiskManagement.JPG
    DiskManagement.JPG
    240.8 KB · Views: 11
At the moment your boot files (\boot and bootmgr) are on H:\ as witnessed by the "system" flag.
You are running Vista on C:\ (the "boot" flag), but the BCD is incorrectly stating that bootmgr is on C:\, which is why you're getting the "bootmgr not found" message.
Where do you want the boot files ? Which system do you want to control the boot ?
If you're happy to leave things as they are, running "startup repair" from the Vista DVD (possibly more than once) should fix the BCD so that the boot manager entry points to H:, and then you can just add an entry for W7 with easyBCD.
If you want Vista to be in control and have the boot files, you'll need to put the Vista HDD first in the HDD boot sequence in the BIOS. It doesn't matter which SATA port you use, the BIOS sequence is key.
(my HDD 0 (Vista/XP) is on SATA 4, HDD 1 (W7/Ubuntu) is on SATA 1. It doesn't matter.)
Then, with the Vista disk first and preferably with the Backup disk temporarily disconnected, (I'm not certain that's absolutely necessary, but it's what I'd do to be absolutely sure Vista didn't carry on using the "system" partition as currently defined), boot the Vista DVD and run "startup repair" (3 iterations, since it's probably got multiple things to fix/create).
You should then have a booting Vista, to which you can add an entry for W7 pointing it to W:\ with EasyBCD, and reconnect your backup drive.
Vista probably won't let you delete the old \boot folder and bootmgr from H:\ (try it and see), but if it doesn't let you clean up the mess without jumping through multiple hoops of taking ownership and setting permissions, the easiest way to clean up is to remove those files using a Live Linux boot, which will ignore all the Windows restrictions.

Last edited:
Hi Terry, thanks for your time on this. Please would you confirm my understanding of your instructions and I will then carry out and report back. Cheers

I'll explain what I am aiming for.

1) I would like Vista to be my system disk and have control. e.g. My C: drive to be populated with the Vista system, the \boot and bootmgr. The MB BIOS is configured to boot from this C: drive currently.

2) I would like the option to be able to boot to Vista or Windows 7, either from within Vista or at start-up if poss.

Questions. Startup repair - Once I have booted using the Vista DVD and entered Startup Repair can I run this mutiple times without restarting each time.

I am happy to carry out your instructions which I understand to be as follows:

a) Disconnect the H: drive following powerdown.
b) Boot using the Visat DVD.
3) Run startup repair 3 / 4 times without rebooting.

Points for consideration
1) The H:drive as indicated in Computer Management is a temporary drive which I use for backups. This will be replaced by a larger disk soon.
2) My H: drive and D: drive (RAID Volume) have boot directories and bootmgr which were not present before I stated this exercise and I would like to remove these files.
3) The Vista DVD is not able to recognise the Raid volume unless I chose the option to load drivers
3) I have installed Windows 7 64bit on a RAID 0 Volume. Id like to be able to use this as my Photo editing system only . i.e photoshop, Lightroom etc.

I must admit I do get confused when computer management the H: drive as my system drive and then the Vista DVD when running DIr from the cmd prompt - reports H: as my CD drive and E: as my system drive

Addendum:

Brilliant. having typed out the above, your instructions made lots of sense . So I went for it.

The C: drive is now reported in Comp Management as the system drive and I am booting OK into Vista. Fantastic. Having got this far I am a bit reluctant to go head without a bit of handholding for which of course I will renumerate in the form of a donation. You guys really deserve it. I feel like a right plonker for getting into this mess in the first place.

Do you forsee any problems when I reconnect my H: drive. Previously the system drive?
Is setting up the Duel boot as easy as it is explained in EasyBCD docs :- i.e Add entries?

Enjoy the weather in Wiltshire. Cheers John

Addendum:

Terry, latest update

1) I have created an entry for Windows 7 using EBCD. The option is displayed at startup. but it will not start. I have tried running repair but it is reporting that the 7 DVD cannot repair the Corrupt Boot Config.

2) Reconnecting the H: drive causes problems : BootMng not found when boot. Disconnecting this drive and I can boot into Vista.

Just when I thought I was close to solving these problems. Enjoy the Tennis. Will Murry make it to the final. Any bets!!

Last edited:
Reconnect the H: HDD, and then enter your BIOS again, and make sure your Vista HDD is first in the boot sequence in the BIOS. Then you should be able to boot as normal into Vista, with C: as "system" still.

Cheers.

Jake

Hi Jake, please forgive the long reply. Iam working on the premise that the info may be useful to other readers.

I thought this would work too. I did try this and the same error messagewas displayed 'Bootmng not found, please insert system disk . I tried this twice each time making sure my C: drive (samsung SATA ) was first in the boot sequence.

As soon as I disconnected the H: drive (Maxtor IDE) I could boot into Vista.

I then tried booting into Vista and then connecting the H:drive by inserting the power cable.. Then find new hardware in Device Mng. I then tried to delete the boot dir and bootmng on H: but access was denied.

The H: drive contained two partions. 1) being a Acronis True Image Secure zone, the other being and simple volume. I quick formated the simple volume which contained the boot dir etc. I then tried booting into Vista with the H: drive attached at start-up. Again it failed. I am now reformatting the complete drive as a simple volume having taken a system backup on another drive.

The reason why I am explaing this in detail is because I beleive the Acrionis secure zone may have been the reason why this was conflicting with the boot process. I'll find out when I boot with a newly formated drive.

Once I have resolve this I will tackle the Windows 7 Problem.

Thanks for getting back to me. Cheers John.

If reconnecting the H:\ drive broke the boot, it must be ahead of the C:\ drive in the BIOS. Make sure that no other HDD comes before the one you want to be in charge.

Terry, I really have checked this.

Having connected the Maxtor IDE Hard Drive - previously H:, I turn on my PC and head into the BIOS to check the Boot sequence of the drives. THe boot priority is set to 1) CD then 2) 3/4 are not set

In the list of drives present the Samsung (my C: drive) is definately at the top. The two Maxtor drives appear at the bottom of the list one marked slave the other Master. I have been running with this configuration for two year with no problems.

Now when I exit the BIOS and save changes, the system reports Bootmng not present. Power down and remove the H: IDE drive drive and it boots into Vista no Problem.

I don't understand this as the H: drive has not yet completed formatting - I abandond this last night as my sytem was performing a RAW format on this drive - the only option to remove the Acronis secure Zone.

The IDE drives have always been labled Slave and Master.

Your thoughts?

John, on my ASUS mobo, the BIOS boot sequence is a family of screens
The 1st, like yours, sets the order of device types; floppy, removable, HDD; then the child screens of that father set the order within the types (which DVD drive comes first in one screen, which HDD in another)

That isn't the same screen as the one that's just enumerating your devices.

It could be that you're overlooking the HDD order in a screen you haven't accessed.

These are two seperate screens I agree. Perhaps I should'nt have mentioned the first screen that set the boot order for devices CD, Floppy, Hard Disks.

The BIOS screen that sets the boot sequence (access im my ASUS BIOS for BOOT - Hard Drives) is a list of drives the BIOS recognises in which one can use the cursor keys to shift the drives up and down the list. The first drive in the list is the one that is used as the boot drive. Please correct me if I am wrong

Happy to send you a screen shot: The Samsung (My C: drive) is definately at the top of this sequence.

From what you describe, it sounds as though your boot sequence is correct, but the BIOS locates the 1st HDD in the sequence, executes the MBR code on that disk, which looks in the Partition Table for the "active" primary, then executes the code in that PBR which will find bootmgr, which then executes winload to start Vista.
All of that must work for you to have successfully got into Vista, and nothing on any other disk can interfere with that process, unless that other disk interrupts that chain, and the only place it can interrupt it is the boot sequence.
One other thought. Another thread from last night has a user with a flash-drive that breaks the boot when inserted. My advice to him might also apply in your case perhaps.
If you're in the habit of letting the OS provide default disk letters, instead of using disk management to set permanent allocations yourself, then setting up a working Vista with one configuration will default to a particular pattern of disk lettering, which will be altered when the PnP enumerator detects the drives in a different sequence (when you put the IDE drive back). This shouldn't cause the BCD any problems, because (though EasyBCD displays letters) Vista actually uses the ID for location (Easy translates that into letters for your convenience)
Since I can't think of any other explanation, it won't do any harm to permanently assign the letters as you want them to be when Vista's up and running, if you're 100% sure that the IDE drive hasn't pre-empted the Vista drive in the boot sequence.

Terry, many thanks for your time on this. I have reformatted the drive now. I rebooted with the drive still installed and booted into Vista without problems.

I built this machine from scratch and am pretty computer savey having been in IT for 18 years. This one baffled me; so your explanation is really helpful as is the documentation on available via this site.

I will take your advice and permanatly assign the drives a permanent letter via Computer Management 'Select - Change drive letter and paths' and follow the screen prompts.

Any chance you could help me with the Windows 7 problem. I am nervous I will screw up what we have aready achieved.

I have created an entry for Windows 7 using EBCD. The option is displayed at startup. but it will not load W7 . I have tried running Startup Repair but the 7 DVD is reporting that cannot repair.

The following error message is displayed

Problem signature 07
CorruptBootConfigData
\windows\system32\winload.exe
Status 0xc0000428
Windows cannot verify digital signature for file..

It would be great to get this working after all my and your guys effort. Incidently I will be emnailing PC Pro to praise your support. They ran an article on W7 in their current issue.

Thanks again, John

Info as requested.

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=C:
path \bootmgr
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {c6efa432-7e26-11dd-829d-c9b23d60c5c1}
resumeobject {c6efa433-7e26-11dd-829d-c9b23d60c5c1}