Urgent: Bootmng is missing

I too have had no experience with RAID, but in [post=39488]another thread[/post], I remember someone mentioning that they cannot access their RAID partition from the Ubuntu LiveCD. So that would seem to indicate you would probably have to load the RAID drivers first into the thing, which the CD apparantly does not have by default, before it would wok.

Last edited:
2) Justin's solution appears more simple, but I must be absolutley clear on the syntax as I do not wish to amend the attributes of the Winload.exe on my Vista drive. Would the syntax be as follows 'attrib -r -s W:\%windir%\system32\winload.exe'

Just %windir%. Its an alias that points correctly to the windows directory for the copy of Windows you've booted into, but if you can't boot Windows replace %windir% with the right drive letter\Windows\

Hi Guys, here is the latest update: Limited success!!!

Your thoghts?

1) I re-installed Windows 7 on a partion on my RAID 0 drive having reformatted the entire drive.. I then amended the BIOS boot sequence to boot from this drive by placing it as the 1st drive on the list.

2) I booted into Windows 7 with no problem.

3) I amended the BIOS boot sequence to place my Samsung 'Vista' drive at the top of the list. I then booted into Vista with no problems.

4) Using EasyBCD, I added the Window 7 drive (see debug info below). This partion is shown in Vista Explorer as W: .

5) BootMng displayed the two OS options Window Vista and Windows 7. The Vista option works, the Windows 7 option displays the same message as before:

Error message

\Windows\system32\winload.exe
Status 0xc0000428
Windows cannot verify digital signature for this file

Windows Boot Manager
--------------------
identifier {9dea862c-5cdd-4e70-acc1-f32b344d4795}
device partition=C:
path \bootmgr
description Windows Boot Manager
locale en-US
inherit {7ea2e1ac-2e61-4728-aaa3-896d9d0a9f0e}
default {c6efa432-7e26-11dd-829d-c9b23d60c5c1}
resumeobject {c6efa433-7e26-11dd-829d-c9b23d60c5c1}
displayorder {c6efa432-7e26-11dd-829d-c9b23d60c5c1}
{5464d8ac-619d-11de-ab43-001a92782b28}
toolsdisplayorder {b2721d73-1db4-4c62-bf78-c548a880142d}
timeout 6
resume No

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {c6efa432-7e26-11dd-829d-c9b23d60c5c1}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Microsoft Windows Vista
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {c6efa433-7e26-11dd-829d-c9b23d60c5c1}
nx OptIn

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {5464d8ac-619d-11de-ab43-001a92782b28}
device partition=W:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
osdevice partition=W:
systemroot \Windows

If that's 2 fresh working installs, neither of which is recognized as valid from Vista, I'd think it must be something to do with RAID.
What you've done is just standard, exactly what I did when I installed build 7000, and it worked with no problem.
Build 7100, I did a different way, using a custom HnS modification to boot each of the OSs, but the EasyBCD route worked perfectly for me (and hundreds of others here). The only difference I can see is RAID.

Yes, my guess would have to be the RAID as well. Perhaps the BCD/bootmgr does not support it when its another HDD?

Last edited:
As you are probably aware :- The BIOS for the RAID card isloaded immediately folowing the Motherboard BIOS. RAID drivers are needed to access the RAID drives. These are installed with each OS at part of the install procedure. I would guess that BCD/BootMng cannot startup windows 7 as they do not have access to the RAID drives. However, I have heard of people managing to boot an OS located on a RAIB from Bootmanger. One example - see link. below. This guy is also using an Areca RAID card.

How I solved my Win 7 64 install issues - Dual Boot, Log: BLOCKED CanBeSystemVolume

I will continue my investigationsand and if I do come up with a solution, I'll let you guys know. In the meantime I give you some peace. I've learnt a great deal from this exercise and can only thank you all the time and effort you have provided. As promised I will contribute a donation and email PC Pro in the hope that they publish my praise for your support.

Much appreciated

John

As you are probably aware :- The BIOS for the RAID card isloaded immediately folowing the Motherboard BIOS. RAID drivers are needed to access the RAID drives. These are installed with each OS at part of the install procedure. I would guess that BCD/BootMng cannot startup windows 7 as they do not have access to the RAID drives.
Hmm...interesting. Then, is it possible by installing RAID drivers in Vista, to make it possible for the Vista versions of BCD/bootmgr to access the RAID drives? I don't know...just a thought. :wink:

I've been busy trying to crack this problem and I think I am close: See if you can get your head around this, another long one I'm afraid.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[FONT=&quot]Excerpts [/FONT]from the following thread: Can't install Vista SP1 x64 on Areca RAID array... drivers unsigned!

Question: "Vista x64 with SP1 integrated won't install on an Areca Raid Controller... when I try to load drivers, it indicates the driver is unsigned although the driver is signed and was able to work with Vista RTM no problem."

Here's what Areca Tech Support had to say about the clean install method...
Code Snippet
Dear Sir,​
we just reproduced same situation like yours, and after some search, it looks like a sp1 problem because these have some similar bug report information on internet.
some page said that MS had call back these SP1 editions, maybe you should contact with your OS supplier for more information about it.​
Best Regards,​
Areca Technology Tech-support Division
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Having read the above, I uninstalled W7 64bit and installed W7 32bit to see if this was a problem with 64bit drivers (disconnecting all the drives again). Booting into W7. this time Bootmng was displayed offering two 'Windows 7' options (1 of which worked).

Reconnecting my Vista drive and then changing the boot sequence enabled me to boot into Vista. No Boot menu options displayed. I then edited EBCD to create options for Vista and W7. - rebooted to test. Vista worked, W7 displayed the same error message as descibed before (can't verify certificate etc).

Next step was to boot into W7, install EBCD and amend bootmng to display options for Vista and W7. Booted to test. Both worked.- Hooray.

So I can only conclude from this that the Areca drivers 32bit and 64bit do not work with FRESH installs of Windows following the release of Vista SP1. My previous theory that Bootmng needed drivers to read the raid drives has been disproved as they work in this last scenario.

I believe an Email to Areca is the next step.

There is one other point. I now have Bootmng and a Boot dir on Vista, Windows 7 drive and also another RAID drive. Iv'e tried to delete these on the latter drive thinking that they are not needed but they appears to be in use... and this permission thing again..

Best regards
John

So I can only conclude from this that the Areca drivers 32bit and 64bit do not work with FRESH installs of Windows following the release of Vista SP1. My previous theory that Bootmng needed drivers to read the raid drives has been disproved as they work in this last scenario.

No, I don't believe it has...
Since you were booting in this case using the bootmgr on your RAID drive, and were using it to boot your Vista which is on the non-RAID HDD, as I understand it, there wasn't a problem in that case because the bootmgr did not have to access a RAID drive to call up a winload.exe there. Since you have RAID drivers of course on your W7 drive, the boot process can continue initially and load up the bootmgr on your RAID drive because there is no hinderance. And so bootmgr is the one at fault, and it can't call up a file located on a RAID disk. So that explains why you had no trouble booting from your RAID Win 7 disk.
There is one other point. I now have Bootmng and a Boot dir on Vista, Windows 7 drive and also another RAID drive. Iv'e tried to delete these on the latter drive thinking that they are not needed but they appears to be in use... and this permission thing again..
Ok, so based on that description, it sounds like you may actually be booting now from the other (non-Win 7) RAID drive. Try changing the boot sequence in the BIOS, and put the Win 7 HDD at the top, so that way the copies of BCD/bootmgr on your W7 partition will be the ones that are actually getting used (and then you can delete the ones on the other RAID disk).

Back