USB Flash Drive Wiped

JRockZ

I just started playing with EasyBCD and the main thing i wanted was to make a backup of my MBR i did so onto a 2Gb flash drive thinking it would just save a file somehow now my drive is empty and it shows as only being 10Mb as opposed to 2Gb what happened?? i had very important files on this flash drive and i need to be able to access them. Did i rush it ro not read enough as to what im doing? i would guess so but i really need those files off my usb drive.
Thanks for any inof
JRockZ

You could try a quick format of the flash drive (not a full format which will destroy every block), so that it resets the partition tables and gets the drive back to 2Gb, then try Resoration again and see if it finds stuff in the rest of the drive.

You could try a quick format of the flash drive (not a full format which will destroy every block), so that it resets the partition tables and gets the drive back to 2Gb, then try Resoration again and see if it finds stuff in the rest of the drive.
Yeah i guess i could try that seems to be my only other option, somehow the usb drive is in fat12 now from what i can tell not 100% sure on that but i have no clue. What did i do? Grrrrr!! LOL
JRockZ

You don't haft to specify search criteria. Just hit the search button and it'll pull up everything it can find. FAT12 isn't a valid file system. There's only FAT, FAT16, and FAT32. There are some other recovery tools out there too. Use Recovery Expert if you got Acronis Disk Director. Whatever you do though, do not format unless it is a quick format like Terry says. Recovery short of a professional firm to do it for you is about impossible after a full format.

Worked perfect thanks a ton guys got 95% of my stuff back now. now i just hope i made the right backups should my bcd get messed again or what not.
Rock on!!
JRockZ

Great news, glad it worked.
I have a Restoration short-cut sitting right next to the trash bin on my desktop, just in case I ever accidentally blitz something unintended.
I was never a Boy Scout, but "be prepared" is not a bad motto, and having to search the web and download software after you've accidentally lost something, could actually be the step that overwrites the thing you're trying to save.
As with all such things though, I've never had cause to use it, from the moment I put it there.

Back