Used recovery disk to repair Vista, now my computer does not want to boot up!!

Diesel350

So I was getting the Windows error recovery screen. I downloaded the Vista Repair 64 bit disk and inserted it into my computer. It took me to the repair section and it seemed to be working fine until my computer re-booted and now nothing. All I get is a black screen with a cursor in the middle. I tried turning the computer off and on again and now it doesn't even want to boot. Just a black screen with a cursor. What is my next step?

Hi Diesel.
If your PC suddenly reboots for no apparent reason, it could be something as simple (and dangerous) as overheating.
Can you take off the cover and make sure that the fans spin-up when the PC is powered on.
If the CPU fan is broken, the machine can overheat and shut down very quickly.
Do you still get the BIOS splash screen but Vista not starting, or don't you see any activity at all when you switch on ?

Hi Diesel.
If your PC suddenly reboots for no apparent reason, it could be something as simple (and dangerous) as overheating.
Can you take off the cover and make sure that the fans spin-up when the PC is powered on.
If the CPU fan is broken, the machine can overheat and shut down very quickly.
Do you still get the BIOS splash screen but Vista not starting, or don't you see any activity at all when you switch on ?
Ok it's working now but i am confused now. Now it is saying that this version of the system recovery options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows? Now what? Is it because I am using a DVD instead of a CD?

Last edited:
There are 2 downloads available, the x64 64 bit and the x86 32bit.
You have to use the one that matches your Vista installation.

You say in another thread (best keep everything in one to avoid confusion), that you've tried the KSOD fix, but it doesn't work ?
You also seem to be saying that you can't install a fresh copy of the system.
The recovery disk from this site has no installation files, so can only be used to fix a broken boot, not reinstall Vista.
If you can boot the CD though, you should be able to boot any installation CD/DVD and start afresh with any system you like.
What problem did you encounter trying to install XP ?
If you're using an old CD (pre-SP2) and your PC has SATA drives, the drivers will be missing.

You say in another thread (best keep everything in one to avoid confusion), that you've tried the KSOD fix, but it doesn't work ?
Yes I have tried that fix it doesn't work because the value is NT AUTHORITY\NetworkService is already there.
You also seem to be saying that you can't install a fresh copy of the system.
The recovery disk from this site has no installation files, so can only be used to fix a broken boot, not reinstall Vista.
Ya sorry what I meant was the repair CD for Vista was not able to fix the broken boot.
If you can boot the CD though, you should be able to boot any installation CD/DVD and start afresh with any system you like.
What problem did you encounter trying to install XP ?
If you're using an old CD (pre-SP2) and your PC has SATA drives, the drivers will be missing.
All I got was a black screen. Nothing happened. If may very well be an old CD. What drivers do I need to install or should I intstall another version of XP?

Does the XP CD boot on another PC ?
It should do something, even if the SATA drivers aren't included.

Back