Using EasyBCD 2.0 to boot Win7 and XP

davidje14

Hi all, sorry but I read the stickys and I still don't get it.

So far I have been unable to boot windows xp from the windows 7 bootloader. I have installed EasyBCD beta 2.0. In windows 7. I have read through the stickys provided and have a few questions. First, here is how EasyBCD is set up:

There are a total of 2 entries listed in the bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30 seconds.
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe

Entry #2
Name: Microsoft Windows XP
BCD ID: {4215f2b3-8bd8-11de-863b-8a736674c3be}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR

I have used the tools dropdown menu to autoconfigure and still come up with this result as listed in the sticky troubleshooter:

"NTLDR is missing or corrupt (or one of its variants)

Windows Boot Manager has experienced a problem. File: \ntldr Status: 0xc000000f Info: The selected entry couldn't be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

As this error message says, NTLDR could not be located. Make sure the Windows XP entry in EasyBCD points to the system drive and keep in mind that this is not necessarily the same as the drive that Windows XP is installed to.
If the drive is correct, make sure NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM exist in the root partition. If they don't or if they're corrupted, you can download them here."

OK, the xp entry does point to the system drive. But I do not know how to find the root partition as instructed here, let alone install the file in the correct location. (which I thought EasyBCD was supposed to do automatically)

In another place it gives me this path:

"Run Control Panel \ Administrative Tools \ Computer Management \ Disk Management and look at the flags on the HDD which is 1st in your BIOS boot sequence. "

When I go into the control panel I have these options: System and Security, Network and Internet, Hardware and Sound, Programs, User Accounts and Family Safety, Appearance and Personalization, clock, language and region, and ease of access. Nowhere on that list do I see “Administrative tools”.

So my problem remains, Windows 7 boots fine, but I get the above message when I select xp. If I switch the boot priority in the bios, windows xp will boot fine but no windows 7.

Last edited:
In control Panel you can
a) click on any of the groups you mention, and it will tell you what's in each (clue - it's the first one)
b) start typing adm..... in the search box and see what happens
c) click view/go to/all control panel items

probably best of all
right click the start button / properties/ customize and set control panel to display as menu.
In future the control panel items will all fly out when you hover over that start menu item.
You can also set admin tools to "display on the start menu" in the same place, and save a click.

Set your folder options like this, and see if the XP boot files are where they should be.
Try deleting the XP entry and adding it again if the tools/auto-configure route didn't work

If you still have a problem post the Disk Management and "display settings" (debug mode) info as detailed at the end of the sticky.

Last edited:
here is what I have on EasyBCD:

Windows Boot Loader
-------------------
identifier {4215f2a9-8bd8-11de-863b-8a736674c3be}
device partition=C:
path \Windows\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 7
locale en-US
inherit {6efb52bf-1766-41db-a6b3-0ee5eff72bd7}
recoverysequence {4215f2aa-8bd8-11de-863b-8a736674c3be}
recoveryenabled Yes
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \Windows
resumeobject {4215f2a8-8bd8-11de-863b-8a736674c3be}
nx OptIn

Real-mode Boot Sector
---------------------
identifier {4215f2b4-8bd8-11de-863b-8a736674c3be}
device partition=C:
path \NTLDR
description Microsoft Windows XP

And my disk manager:

Attachments

• Storage.JPG
    Storage.JPG
    105.7 KB · Views: 34
EasyBCD 2.0 should (and does mostly) cope with a W7 unlettered "system" partition, but some configurations still aren't handled correctly.
Any detail of your HDD configuration not already mentioned, might be valuable to Guru in diagnosing the failure and improving future builds, if you have the time to post some detail.

Waiting to hear, like you.
When CG finishes off his degree work (which naturally takes priority), we'll find out.

Any detail of your HDD configuration not already mentioned, might be valuable to Guru in diagnosing the failure and improving future builds, if you have the time to post some detail.

:lol:LOL!
Your asking this from the same person who couldn't even find the administration files in his computer.

Back