Using EasyBCD to boot Plan 9 OS

musician2187

I haven't been able to find any references to Plan 9 on this site--my apologies in advance if my various searches overlooked them.
The system in question is an HP dv6 laptop: one hard drive running Windows 7, Kubuntu 10.10, and Plan 9.
At one point, of the three only Win 7 was running; then I re-installed Kubuntu (updating from 10.4 to 10.10) and Plan 9. I was able to make Kubuntu's Grub 2 boot Plan 9. Win 7 then went missing.
Neither Grub 2, nor parted, nor fdisk (cfdisk wouldn't even start up), nor any other Linux utility would properly register the two Win 7 partitions. The small one (100MB) was recognized as file type NTFS, but not usably so; while the larger was shown as Linux type 83! Following directions to create fstab entries for them also failed.
So I thought I'd use the NeoSmart command line method of fixing Win 7; however, the Win 7 disk couldn't find any trace of a Win 7 install, so I was forced to reinstall Win 7 from scratch.
After this I installed EasyBCD. Now both Kubuntu and Win 7 boot flawlessly from a beautiful menu, but there is no trace of Plan 9.
After studying all of the docs on the EasyBCD site, I've been unable to find a "generic" method to install an unsupported operating system. Probably there is a least risky way to go about this. Could someone enlighten me, please, as to what it might be?
PS. /dev/sda1 = Plan 9 [primary, ca. 125GB]
/dev/sda2 = Win 7 (bootloader?) [primary, ca. 100MB]
/dev/sda3 = Win 7 main [primary, ca. 250GB]
/dev/sda5 = Kubuntu main [logical, ca. 109GB]
/dev/sda6 = Kubuntu swap [logical, ca. 16GB]

Hi!

I commend you on your interest in Plan 9 - a superb OS! A real shame it hasn't gathered traction over the years.

Anyway, do you know what filesystem the Plan 9 partition is using? And what bootloader it comes with?

Back