Using EasyBCD

hshah

Can I somehow use EasyBCD without access to an OS?

Here is the problem I am having:

I originally had Windows XP Pro installed, and I installed Windows Vista Ultimate on another partition on another hard disk.

Everything worked well with the Vista Bootloader etc for about 2 weeks, until earlier today when I decided I didn't need Windows XP any more.

I deleted the Windows XP partition and merged it back with the rest of that drive...

When I rebooted, I got the error:

NTLDR missing

I booted from the Vista DVD and did the following:
Startup Repair
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootsect.exe /nt60 c:

Then when I booted I got the error:

BOOTMGR missing

I took my hard disk and copied this file from my friends machine...

Now I get the error:

File:\Boot\BCD
Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data

I have just tried this:

bootrec /rebuildbcd

And it finds the installation at C:\Windows and asks me to type Yes, which I do...

I think get the error:

The requested system device cannot be found

I am assuming that all the bootloader and bcd files were on the Windows XP partition I deleted... so this Windows is more or less stranded
frown.gif

What on Earth can I do? I need this system up and running as soon as possible, and formatting isn't really much of an option as I have a lot of university work to do.

Well if you have a restore point or a backup you can use the Vista DVD to recover sicne it has that option. Load the DVD let it load the files. Do not click the install Now button. Instead look to the left side and you will notice the repari functions there. Try to see if it can find a restore point to repair your disc with. If not then sorry to say but your only option will be to format and re-install.

EasyBCD is a application that runs within Windows. It isnt a stand alone app just yet. So without Windows it cant run. I think you honestly corrupted your disc more when you tried to copy your firends BCD over. Since his config is not the same as yours. You have Vista on a 2nd hard drive not a first hard drive. Right there is where it gets messed up.

Back