Using Hibernation

menasheh

I have a single drive partitioned with xp and vista. I generally used xp and would like to use hibernate with it. When I hibernate it closes my session and I have to start from a fresh boot. I even removed the vista from the bootloader and I still get a reboot everytime I hibernate. Is there a solution? I'm not a techi so please be gentle.

JustinW

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hibernate completely shuts off the computer and stores everything on the hard drive, so when you boot it back up it may look like its a fresh session but its not. If you'd prefer to keep the computer on but in a low state of power use the standby mode (sleep mode in Vista).

JustinW

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you make any recent changes to the boot menu? Try re-setting the BCD store: EasyBCD > BCD Install/Repair > Reset BCD Configuration. You can try system restore too. System file checker may help:

sfc /scannow

Wonda

There is nothing wrong with BCD or MBR. The signature on my hibernation file is missing. Before the boot process.

A system repair is impossible, because it is a OEM.
And the problem started with a system restore......

mqudsi

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
It certainly is possible (and even likely) that the two issues are linked - seeing as it is a clear bug in Windows in Wonda's case.