Using NeoGrub to dual boot Linux with no GRUB2/LILO installed?

scubahalo

Is this possible? I have tried to install GRUB2/LILO many different ways but to no avail. BTW, this is a Windows 7/Kali Linux dual boot on RAID 0 (software RAID). Anyway, if it is possible, how would I configure NeoGrub? Thanks!

You really should use EasyBCD to call GRUB2, but if you truly want to do it via NeoGrub (and you're aware of the shortcomings of this approach, namely being that when you upgrade the kernel you'll have to manually update the NeoGrub configuration to match the new kernel name) you can find the instructions here: https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/neogrub/linux/

Notice that your RAID would have to be correctly set up so that the BIOS reports to any low-level software a single volume instead of the two underlying disks.

Thanks. NeoGrub didn't work either. I can't use EasyBCD to call Grub2 because Grub2 won't install to any of my Linux partitions. Neither NeoGrub nor Grub2 apparently can see my partitions, although mdadm sees them just fine. No doubt for the reason you stated:

"Notice that your RAID would have to be correctly set up so that the BIOS reports to any low-level software a single volume instead of the two underlying disks."

I have no idea how to do this. I don't think I even have that option in BIOS. Anyway, unless you have another suggestion I'm going the VMware route. Thanks again!

Back