Vista, 2003 Server, Fedora 8 Issues!

GraphixXx

Hello everyone, I'll start by saying that I'm new to the forum as well as the program. I've been trying for about three days now to get the following to happen on my system, but I'll give a little background of what I've got.

One SATA 250gig drive, C: has MS Windows Vista Ultimate on itL: has MS Windows Server 2003 Enterprise on it
M: has Fedora Core 8 on it (well, not yet)

My issue is that I loaded Vista first, did all updates and other program installs that I wanted. Then I loaded Server 2003 on the other partition. I updated Server 2003 and then restarted, figuring since I added the Windows 2003 Server to EasyBCD prior to install, it'd work.

Well, obviously it doesn't. I'm trying to make it so that Vista is the main OS, with the choices of Server 2003 and Fedora Core 8 as the other options.

Anyone know how I can get it so that EasyBCD / Vista Bootloader will see the Server 2003 and Fedora Core 8 OSes and allow me to choose which I want? Right now, I can only boot into Server 2003.

Thanks,Bryan

If you want Microsoft products to automatically recognize each operating system you need to install from oldest to newest, since all the Operating systems are backward compatible but it would be impossible to make them forward compatible. That said try reading this http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Installing+XP+After+Vista for the 2003/Vista solution

1. from neosmart wiki:
Setting up the Dual-Boot
Once Windows XP setup has finished, it'll automatically boot you into the newly installed copy of Windows XP – note that you will not be able to boot into Vista at this point, nor will you see a boot menu option for it.
  1. Once in Windows XP, download and install the Microsoft .NET 2.0 Framework.
  2. Download and install the latest version of EasyBCD.
  3. Once in EasyBCD, go to the "Manage Bootloader" page, and select "Reinstall the Vista Bootloader" then "Write MBR" to get the Vista bootloader back.
  4. Once that's done, head on to the "Add/Remove Entries" page and select "Windows NT/2k/XP/2003" from the drop-down list, give it a name, then press "Add Entry" to finish.
  5. Reboot.
Sorry Guru you beat me to it lol

Install EasyBCD in Server 2003, do Bootloader Management | Reinstall Vista Bootloader

Thanks! That worked getting me back into Vista. I tried again to get into 2003 Server upon rebooting in Vista, didn't work. Gave an error message.

EasyBCD shows the below, but I just deleted the 2003 Server entry and readded it (after reading the other post by ruf1) so i'm going to try that and see if it'll still work.

Code:
There are a total of 3 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista
Entry #1
Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows
Entry #2
Name: Server 2003
BCD ID: {1c0e2e2b-94ca-11dc-b4b5-001676dad7ff}
Drive: N:\
Bootloader Path: \NTLDR
Entry #3
Name: NeoGrub Bootloader
BCD ID: {1c0e2e2a-94ca-11dc-b4b5-001676dad7ff}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \NST\NeoGrub.mbr

Thanks again Computer Guru! I appreciate it, it worked with the install of EasyBCD on Server 2003, then deleting and readding the Windows 2003 Server through Vista! Now I'm happy! Well, somewhat happy...

I'm going to have to read the documentation that you provide for EasyBCD to install Fedora Core 8 now! I haven't even attempted to install that OS yet since I wanted 2003 and Vista to work.

I guess I'll be back, eventually, maybe. Watch the news, you may see a story about someone who got so pissed at his computer he tied it to his truck and drove it down the road being towed behind!

Back