Vista 32-bit WindowsErrorRecovery

Hi Guys!
I was wondering if someone could offer me some advice on an issue that I currently have...
I have a two-year old HP dv2617 with Vista 32-bit and Intel centrino. The recovery is partitioned off on the hard-drive.
About a week ago I was using the wireless network at home and was suddenly dropped from it. No big deal, right? That happens once every two weeks, so, as usual, I restarted the computer. Upon restarting I get:
______
Windows Error Recovery
Windows failed to start. A hardware or software change might be the cause. If Windows files have been damaged, Startup Repair can help diagnose and fix the problem. (Use the arrow keys tio highlight your choice.)
1) Launch Startup Repair (recommended)
2) Start Windows normally
______

Naturally, I tried the first option. I get a white progress bar that says that "windows is loading files" which at the end of progression, hangs for about 30 seconds. After which, I get the green prgress bar that zips by multiple times with the Copyright Microsoft directly above it. Then after that screen, a window pops for about a millisecond, and then I get a blue screen with a nothing but the mouse arrow cursor. I've tried Start Windows Normally, Safe mode, Safe mode with prompts, last known good configuration via F8 and F11, and still I get the same thing.

I did some research and found your website that offers window vista recovery...
Download: Windows Vista x64 Recovery Disc — The NeoSmart Files
will this solution wipe my HD or would it be able to repair Vista? Do I need a Vista DVD?

I did order a recovery disc from HP, but would that delete all the content from hard-drive? I really do need to recover files from it so I would like to avoid having to wipe my hard-drive.

I'm doing everything from having to buy a Vista disc since I'd rather spend that money on upgrading to Windows 7 once this is resolved.

Thanks in advance for all you advice/input!

The HP disc you're getting well wipe the drive and set the computer to default settings. In preparation, get a Ubuntu live disc and rescue important files to removeable media.

Our recovery CD gets you into a PC that's lost the boot files.
You are still able to boot to your extended boot menu. The problem lies deeper in the OS.
Try chkdsk /r against your OS partition from a command prompt and see if bad HDD blocks are stopping progress.

but take Justin's advice and copy all your user data first, just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
Hello everyone i'm new here and i'm having the same problem with my Acer computer. When i go to System Recovery Options and then i choose the Windowd Complete PC Restore it shows me a message box that says An internal error occured. The following information might help you resolve the error: The file or directory is not a reparse point. (0x80071126)
What does that message mean? Does anyone know what i can do to fix this problem?
thank you :smile:

Complete PC Restore is only useful if

a) You have a Complete PC backup using the Backup and Restore Center from a time where the computer was working

and

b) You are using Windows Vista Business/Ultimate or Windows 7 Business/Ultimate

and

c) You're using a SP1 disc (if its Vista) or later. Otherwise, there may be problems.

If you meet these requirements it may be that our disc cannot support this feature (its been stripped with limited functionality only meant to get a non booting copy of Windows working again).

First thing you can try is using these instructions to see if you can get Windows booting again (if that's the problem).

If you don't meet these requirements (which you probably don't), you'll need to request a recovery set from your OEM.

Last edited:
I'm facing the same kine of problem....

After upgrading to ubuntu 10.04, no longer able to run anything on windows.

When I choose Vista from grub, I only get a blinking on top left end of the screen.

Looking in disk manager in Ubuntu, I could see Vista partition (hd0), Ubuntu partition (hd0) swap partition (hd0) and hp recovery partition (hd0).

Tried your recovery disk but did not make it work. I understood it could do miracles when vista partition still good but for me, it did not.

I've called HP and cost me 40$ to get the freaking boot disks ! I'm not really happy at all.

The thing I don't understand is that all the information is still in the freaking hp recovery partition ! Why should I pay 40$ for something that is still in my machine ?

Is there a way to avoid giving them another 40$ just for the fun ?

Thanks in advance,

Punky

Hi,

Just to make it clearer, I believe the recovery disk did his job.

I've followed the instructions.

The MBR was fixed. Meaning, It tries to boot from the main partition wich has Vista on it.

But my problem is that the Vista is no longer to boot. It is dead. So I'm unable to boot and when I press F11... nothing but the blinking cursor on top left corner.

I own an HP DV9418 which has an HP_RECOVERY partirion.

My question: Is there a way to get the pc boot from this partiion OR another utility disk which could use this partition information to reinstall the Vista I've already paid.

As I was saying, simple way is to BUY a disk from HP at 40$ but I don't like this option because I consider that I've already paid and the info is still there.

I've called HP Support and the only thing they say: Did you create the HP Recovery disk when you bought the PC ? My answer: Yes but the disks are unusable.... my freakin dog played with it ! So they say : Buy another one.....

Thanks for taking the time to look at my problem.

Punky.

About those problems with Boot Managers, I only use the Bios Function for to choose the OS/HDD to boot from! That also means that I've to install each OS on it's own HDD.

To just do that, solves several possible problems:
1. If one HDD physically fails, the others still working and I can boot from a different OS;
2. If the Boot Manager is "gone" (if I use any!), I can boot form any of the other HDD's;
3. if the OS on one HDD has problems, I can boot from an other.

It's just depend on the Brand of the MB which Function Key you need to press (while boot the computer) to get the Bios Boot Manager up. Check the Manual of the MB or ask Google!

All of my PCs have been self-built, so I've never had a OEM partition to deal with, but with a bit of judicious "Binging", you should be able to find hits on the web, for locating the name of the HP program in the recovery partition which normally gets executed during the F11 boot.
Then you might be able to initiate the restore by executing it directly from the "command prompt" window of our recovery ISO.
Somewhere back in the mists of time, someone posted a tutorial on these boards on how to do exactly that (though for a Dell PC if I remember correctly)

Back