vista 64 bit boot program wants to install Vista

kevincz

I downloaded and burnt to a cd the 64bit vista boot program. When I boot to the CD, it loads but then comes up with a screen to install Vista. I was testing the cd and their is nothing wrong with my hard drive so I abort the install and reboot using the hard drive. My question is, is the CD trying to install vista on the CD? Is this part of the creating process to make a bootable CD?
any help would be appreciated

Hi Kevin, welcome to NST

You don't need the recovery disc unless you are having problems that prevent you from using Windows. If you're using our recovery disc installation will fail because the instalation files have been removed so that it is strictly a disc that can be used for fixing non-bootable Windows installs. Instead of clicking "Install Now", you'd click "Repair my computer" instead if you need to use it.

The ISO image you burned is the bootable CD. You don't need to do anything further to it. Just store it safely ready for a rainy day, and hope you never need it.
It's a subset of a Vista installation disk, that's why it offers facilities (like INSTALL) which don't exist.
It's the genuine Vista GUI, so we can't stop it from looking as if it is a full installation disk, but the fact that it's on a CD not a DVD should tell you that everything except the recovery environment is missing.
(As does the text on the page you used to download it)

ok, so if I have an issue with vista and I have created a backup drive image using macrium reflection on another installed hard drive, can I use the boot disk to access the backup disk image and run the program to reinstall vista? do I need to install Macrium reflection on the backup drive?

ok, so if I have an issue with vista and I have created a backup drive image using macrium reflection on another installed hard drive, can I use the boot disk to access the backup disk image and run the program to reinstall vista? do I need to install Macrium reflection on the backup drive?

Hi kevincz.
No, the recovery CD can not be used to do anything but run Startup Repair or System Restore, or use the Command Prompt to perform tasks. :wink: When you make a backup image of an existing Vista installation, then you don't need to reinstall Vista, because you can simply restore the backup image to a fresh partition, and you should have a working Vista again (in theory...), providing of course the boot files are the way they should be.

Cheers,

-Coolname007

Last edited:
Try recovering your vista install with our recovery disc first. From the looks of it I can assume your backup image isn't bootable either, but keep it so you can restore your files.

If you've tried all the steps in our wiki, than it is time to either track down a full Vista inatllation disc or request one from your manufacturer for a reinstall.

Back