vista and 2 (k)ubuntus

lemmy

Hi ,

First off I wanted to thank everyone who contributes to this forum/easybcd project.

This is what i already have on my hp laptop :

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]vista ----------- C:\, sda1, NTFS, primary
kubuntu / -----------sda3, ext3, primary, 7GB
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]/home --------------sda5, ext3, logical, 25 GB[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]swap ---------------sda6, ext3, logical, 1,5 GB
free space ---------- 44 000 MB
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]recovery -------D:\, sda2, NTFS, primary [/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]GRUB is installed in (hd0, 2) = /dev/sda3 with the help of neosmart [/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]and i would like to install : [/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ubuntu / ------------sda7, ext3, logical, 7GB[/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]i'd like to know how to assign the /home and swap partitions of kubuntu for ubuntu knowing that i will eventually have different usernames for each ubuntu installation. I want to do this because i don't want to create two more /home and swap partitions for my new ubuntu installation...[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I would like to try to do it with the ubuntu CD installer .
[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]
[/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]i would also like to know where to install GRUB this time - do i have to overwrite the one installed with kubuntu?[/FONT]
[/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]p.s. : i want to have 2 ubuntus with each one having its own environment (kde and gnome) on 2 different partitions. I certainly don't want to install both environments on one partition. [/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Thanks for helping me out... :smile:[/FONT]
John

Hello John,

You do not need to overwrite grub for Kubuntu though letting the Ubuntu installer do so should add itself to the existing menu.lst or create a new one with the entries for Kubuntu already added. It is possible to relocate the /home folder I believe during installation or post-install. I've never done it so can't detail on it, but if you look on the topic there's a few articles out there explaining it step-by-step. If you search this forum there's a thread on it too I believe.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]i'd like to know how to assign the /home and swap partitions of kubuntu for ubuntu knowing that i will eventually have different usernames for each ubuntu installation. I want to do this because i don't want to create two more /home and swap partitions for my new ubuntu installation...[/FONT]​
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]I would like to try to do it with the ubuntu CD installer .
[/FONT]
[/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]i would also like to know where to install GRUB this time - do i have to overwrite the one installed with kubuntu?[/FONT]
[/FONT]​

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]p.s. : i want to have 2 ubuntus with each one having its own environment (kde and gnome) on 2 different partitions. I certainly don't want to install both environments on one partition.[/FONT]

When you install Kubuntu, you should specify (using the Advanced option) to install Grub to the Kubuntu partition. Then it will only require a simple chainloading from the BCD, if you add an normal Linux entry with EasyBCD 2.0 Beta. Since you want to have 2 ubuntus, you should do the exact same thing with the second
Ubuntu as you did with Kubuntu (i.e. have Grub install to the OS's own partition, and nowhere else).
When you install Kubuntu and the second Ubuntu, you should find that it automatically detects your existing swap partition, and assigns it to the two new installs.
As for the /home, that's a little bit more complicated, and you may want to check out this link first to learn about the potential problems causing by sharing a common /home partition. :wink:

Cheers.

Jake

Thanks for your replies,

i installed ubuntu and decided that it would be better if i install a new /home for it so that kubuntu and ubuntu have each one its own /home partition.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]ubuntu / ------------sda7, ext3, logical, 7GB
/home ------------- sda8, ext3, logical, 10 GB

GRUB was this time installed in /dev/sda7

Now i have another problem: when i tried to add the entry in which GRUB is installed (/dev/sda7), easyBCD didn't allow me to do it. i can't see ubuntu in windows boot manager when i start my computer.

The only ooperating systems i see in View Settings in easyBCD are Windows Vista and kubuntu.

any help would be appreciated.
[/FONT]

Hmm...I don't know why EasyBCD didn't allow to create the new entry. Are you using the latest beta build?
I guess you can always add an entry for Ubuntu in your Kubuntu menu.lst (located at /boot/grub/menu.lst on your Kubuntu partition), pointing it at (hd0,6) (which is the same thing as sda7, but you have to use the other form in the "root" lines in your menu.lst).

You may only create up to one linux entry. You'll need to copy the entries from your previous/new menu.lst file (dpends on which grub install its using now) to the menu.lst its using if you're not getting the options to boot either install when you select the linux entry from the windows boot manager menu.

Back