vista and 3 linux distros, 2 with grub2

lvg

I have vista and three linux debian lenny, kubuntu and debian squeeze. Debian abd first first two linux works ok with easebcd. But for debian squeeze when I do add entry, for grub2, it detects kubuntu partition only automatically, not squeeze partition. When I select the menu for squeeze also, kubuntu only appears. How to make it boot squeeze.

Multiple Linux support is only just added in the latest Beta.
Previous builds need manual edit of grub to boot multiple Linux in a 2-stage boot.

Last edited:
I have today installed latest build 2.1.0.137.Condition remains same. May be I was not clear in my previous post.
Out of three Linuxes, debian lenny with leagay grub. It is OK.
Second is Kubuntu with grub2. It is also recognised. It is Ok.
Thirs debian squeeze. It also has grub2. When I try to to add it,though entry is added partition selected is that of Kubuntu not Squeeze. I can not select partition for squeeze as it is supposed to be automatic.
Now what to do?

GRUB-2 is a pain. Easy BCD will find the grub.cfg file that is in the “boot/grub” folder In the first Linux partition that uses grub-2. See my post below about how to copy the grub.cfg file from the second installation to the first.

Booting multiple Ubuntu’s
http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7664&highlight=grub

Another thing you can try is to install one of the Ubuntu’s towards the back end of the hard disk first. Then install the other Ubuntu towards the front of the hard disk. Then the grub.CFG file in the first Ubuntu should have the boot loader menu for both Ubuntu’s.

The best you’re going to get out of Easy BCD is one entry for Ubuntu. Then you go into the grub-2 boot loader menu where you will have boot choices for both Ubuntu’s.

The above of course applies to the newer distributions of Ubuntu which use grub-2. Some of the older distributions use grub-1. For these distributions individual boot options can be made in Easy BCD

Tick the box and select the partition manually as described in the release post
http://neosmart.net/forums/showpost.php?p=63289&postcount=59
Above link shows selecting partition for legacy grub.
My problem is for second grub2 partition. Even first grub 2 partition is automatically selected and ok. When it comes to second grub2 partition, it selects first partition again in auto mode. there is no manual mode of partition slection for grub2 partition.

Addendum:

GRUB-2 is a pain. Easy BCD will find the grub.cfg file that is in the “boot/grub” folder In the first Linux partition that uses grub-2. See my post below about how to copy the grub.cfg file from the second installation to the first.

Booting multiple Ubuntu’s
http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7664&highlight=grub

Another thing you can try is to install one of the Ubuntu’s towards the back end of the hard disk first. Then install the other Ubuntu towards the front of the hard disk. Then the grub.CFG file in the first Ubuntu should have the boot loader menu for both Ubuntu’s.

The best you’re going to get out of Easy BCD is one entry for Ubuntu. Then you go into the grub-2 boot loader menu where you will have boot choices for both Ubuntu’s.

The above of course applies to the newer distributions of Ubuntu which use grub-2. Some of the older distributions use grub-1. For these distributions individual boot options can be made in Easy BCD
Thanks for your time. I have gone through above post. But still I am unable to understand your final position.
I have win vista,
debian lenny with legacy grub
Kubuntu with grub2
and Debian squeeze with grub2.
Now I have in vista menu vista, lenny,kubuntu.
When I try for squeeze, It once again boots to kubuntu.
However in kubuntu,bu update-grub, I got option for squeeze.
But in vista menu I am unable to get squeeze.
Will you please explain, with present easybcd, is it possible to get all four vista, lenny, kubuntu and squeeze in vista menu? If so how?

Last edited:
“I have win vista,
debian lenny with legacy grub
Kubuntu with grub2
and Debian squeeze with grub2.
Now I have in vista menu vista, lenny,kubuntu.
When I try for squeeze, It once again boots to kubuntu.
However in kubuntu,bu update-grub, I got option for squeeze.
But in vista menu I am unable to get squeeze.
Will you please explain, with present easybcd, is it possible to get all four vista, lenny, kubuntu and squeeze in vista menu? If so how?”

No you can’t get two separate boot options for grub-2 Linux distributions in Easy BCD. The best you can do is to get one entry in Easy BCD for a Linux distribution that uses grub-2. Easy BCD is what you’re calling the Vista boot menu. After you boot into the option for whatever you call the grub-2 Linux which in your case is Debian, you will boot into the grub-2 boot menu. The goal is to get the option for both Debian and Squeeze in this menu.

Back