vista and opensolaris dual booting problem

jessa_jr

Hi easybcd experts,

Just want to ask how to install perfectly opensolaris and vista using easybcd. I try installing it but i messed the mbr of windows vista and then I try to fix it but I can't to the thread of fixing the mbr of vista.

Hope you can give me a solution for this.

Thanks.

Hi jessa_jr.
You will need to grab a copy of our recovery disk if you do not have a Vista installation DVD, which you can then use to run Startup Repair 2-3 times (since it can only fix one thing per pass), and fix Vista's boot.
After that, you can use EasyBCD 2.0, beta build 63 to re-add the Open-Solaris entry to your BCD, which will hopefully work better than the 1.7 release of EasyBCD, which I'm assuming you're using. (I have no experience with Open-Solaris unfortunately, and so I will leave that to others who do...)

vista recovery disc

After I download the vista recovery disc, do you have a guide on how to do it or it will just simply like the repair of windows vista dvd.

Originally posted by Coolname007
You will need to grab a copy of our recovery disk if you do not have a Vista installation DVD, which you can then use to run Startup Repair 2-3 times (since it can only fix one thing per pass), and fix Vista's boot.

If this recovery disc will fix in 1 time try only?

Kindly give me alink on how to used this.

Thanks.

Our Recovery Disk is basically a trimmed-down version of the Windows Vista installation DVD, so it only contains the repair features, and you can't use it to reinstall Vista.
The Startup Repair on our recovery disk is the same as the one on the Vista installation DVD.
The reason I suggested to run Startup Repair 2-3 times is because it usually can only fix one thing per pass, and so it make take more than once to completely repair Vista's boot.
If you need a guide, consult the one in our wiki.

cant resolved

Hi,

I still cant resolved to fix the MBR using the recovery disk I dont know why. It cant read the windows vista installation then i try to load drivers but still cant see the windows vista.

But I already resolved this issue, I reformat again the HD and partition after that I hide all the partition except OpenSolaris partition and make it boot using gparted live, then after the OpenSolaris installation I unhide all the partition and make windows vista partition boot using again gparted. Then I have a clean installation and add OpenSolaris using easybcd. I also add freebsd os and xp. When I install xp I again messed the vista mbr but It can be fix using the Vista repair. Now I have a clean quad-boot device.

I will add fedora, ubuntu, opensuse, windows 7 and macosx this weekend, hope I can get a luck and dont messed it again.

Thanks to all help.

Opensuse Installation

I manage to have six boot machine (xp, vista, freebsd, opensolaris, ubuntu and fedora) but when I install Opensuse it all messed up again. The grub is the boot manager when I install opensuse. When I check the partition using partition magic in my xp installation because gparted cant play, I dont know why so I make the vista partition active (making it boot like gparted in managing the flags - that is my understanding if im right) but the extended is also active. So when I do that the vista bootmanager is the bootmanager now but I cant access the ubuntu and fedora installation because I think the logical partition is active. Hope you can help me.

Thanks

I manage to have six boot machine (xp, vista, freebsd, opensolaris, ubuntu and fedora) but when I install Opensuse it all messed up again. The grub is the boot manager when I install opensuse. When I check the partition using partition magic in my xp installation because gparted cant play, I dont know why so I make the vista partition active (making it boot like gparted in managing the flags - that is my understanding if im right) but the extended is also active. So when I do that the vista bootmanager is the bootmanager now but I cant access the ubuntu and fedora installation because I think the logical partition is active. Hope you can help me.

Thanks
Wow! Seven OSes on one computer...that's multibooting in the extreme. :??
Ok, so one thing I think you should know is that no logical partition can be made "active". That is available for only primary partitions.
Can you get into Vista?
If so, then go ahead, and post a sceenshot of the Vista Disk Management window, along with the output of the following command run from EasyBCD's Power Console on the Useful Utilities page:

Code:
bootpart

Posting Vista Disk Management window: How?

Thanks for the comments and If I complete this I will make a tutorial for other users.

Thats why Im wondering that the logical partition is active, since I told you that I already make the vista partition active, I still can see that the logical partition is active in the Partition Magic. Just for your info I install the Opensuse only in the opensuse partition(Or I think I install it in the logical partition the boot manager) but when I restart it the grub takes the boot managing not the easybcd.

How can I post a sceenshot of the Vista Disk Management window (What is that(Vista Disk Management window )? Im sorry). Yes I can still access vista, xp, freebsd and opensolaris since I make the vista partition active but not ubuntu and fedora.

Originally Posted by Coolname007
If so, then go ahead, and post a sceenshot of the Vista Disk Management window, along with the output of the following command run from EasyBCD's Power Console on the Useful Utilities page:

code_html.gif

bootpart

Kindly give instruction on how will I do this.

Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management
Display looks like this.
Use the Vista "snipping tool" to capture the dislay
Save the output as something.jpg
Click the "go advanced" button below the "Quick Reply" dialogue box.
Use the paperclip icon to attach files to your post.
Upload the something.jpg file you just saved.

Or you can just right-click on "Computer" in your Windows menu, hit "Manage", and then hit "Disk Management" in the left pane of the window. Its quicker. :wink:

windows seven

Thanks @Coolname007 and @Terry60.

How about this, how can I do this.

Originally Posted by Coolname007
along with the output of the following command run from EasyBCD's Power Console on the Useful Utilities page:

code_html.gif

bootpart

I will give you the results on monday since every weekend is the only time I can do this.

How about if I will add the Windows Seven RC, do I have something special to do to install it on my logical partition.

Thanks again.

Do exactly what Jake said.
Run EasyBCD
Select "Useful Utilities"
Select "Power Console"
Type "bootpart" and hit enter

Resolved

Hi Coolname,

Thanks for that. I already resolved the issue. What I did is I reinstall all the linux on my logical and install it again because I think I have a mistake installing opensuse which I make my grub to the other partition. I already install 8 os vista, xp, 7, fedora, ubuntu, opensuse, opensolaris, freebsd. I will post a tutorial after I install my last os which is Mac.

Thanks All.

Back