Vista And OSX 86 Dual Boot

stone666

First - sotty for bad English ( I´m german) :booyah:

I have Problems with the Dual Boot!
Í try to install first Vist - the OSX, but The Partition Manager from OS X always Crash my Vista Partition!( First delete all Partitions - create one for Vista and leave the Rest blank)
Then i install first OSX then Vista - install your Bootmanager and add an Entry for OSX, but OSX don´t load)
With the install DVD i can start OS X - and the partition is aktiv - but in Vista i don´t know!
Can you Show me a way to fix this Problem?
Thanks in advanced

You need to install *Vista* first, then OS X.
Don't use OS X's partition manager to create a partition for OS X.

The best way to do it (this will be in the documentation):

Install Vista. Leave same free space on the HD that isn't on a partition.

Use a partition manager like Acronise Disk Director 10 (best), or Paragon (free) to create a partition of type (code) AF.

Boot from Mac OS X DVD and install OS X.

Boot into Vista.

Use EasyBCD to
a) Reinstall Vista bootloader
b) Add entry for Mac OS X

Thank you Computer Guru!

I have installed Vista and Acronis Disk Director, but how can i make a "AF Partition"?
What is AF?There are only FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, Linux Ext2, Ext3, ReiserFS und Linux SWAP i can change!

edit:

i find how to convert the partition!
But OS X ignored the af Partition :angry:

OK, so you have a partition of type AF now?

When you say "OS X ignored the af Partition" what does that mean? It didn't see it? It finished the install, but didn't use it?

You need to do a *manual* install of OS X, and specify the partition to be used.

Yes, i don´t see the Partition at the insall
Wkat du you mean with manuell install?
i insert the DVD and install - is there a other way i can do?
And in Acronis i make a Partition with none Filesystem, is this right - but must this Partision be logic or primary ?

I guess that's the problem, you don't actually have a AF partition.

OK, here's how to do it in detail (this will be in our documentation once it's complete):

Run CMD, type the following:
Code:
diskpart
select disk 0
assuming the disk you want is 0 of course.. make sure you have some free space on this disk (no partition there)
Code:
create partition primary id=af
Whatever free space was unused is now an apple partition.

before leaving diskpart, make sure the partition you want is active. For some stupid reason, by default, when you create a new partition, it wants to make that new partition active.
Code:
list partition
Then type
Code:
select partion x
, x being the # that you want to be active (VISTA).

then type
Code:
active

Boot into the OS X DVD and install OS X to the partition just created.

Thank you for your Support!
But don´t work for me!
I cannot boot into OS X
After the install " NFS+ Error"
And when i manuelly changed the Bootpartition and install EasyBCD i can normaly boot into Vista but don´t in OS X
The Links to the Guides at neosmart.net don´t work

hi,

did you manage to get os x installed with those directions? you're not being clear you know...
did os x install? but you can't boot into it? or what?

I delate all Partitions and install Vista - then i create the af Partition and installed OSX
After the install is the HFS Error but i can boot in OS X with the DVD!
Then i have changed the Bootpartition to the first Partition(Vista)installed BCD, but it don´t work
I Cannot boot into OS X
With acronis OS Selector it works, but this is so fucking slow!

I had the same problem (not seeing the AF partition in the OSX installer).

You need to go into the Disk Utility tool (in the menu) and clean the AF partition because if you don't then OSX says that the partition isn't mountable or there is a problem with it. After you clean the partition, it will appear in you OSX installer and you'll be fine.

At least that worked for me.

Evening all :smile: I am trying to dual boot Vista and OSX and ran across this topic. After some trials and tribulations, I was able to make these directions work for me. I installed Vista, added OSX partition, installed OSX..Then got the HPFS error. Reinstalled the Vista boot loader, went into Vista, downloaded and installed easy BCD, added an entry for OSX, and here's where I am stuck. When adding OSX, I tried both the auto settings, and manually telling it the partiton (disk 0 part 2) and either way when I restart the machine, I do see the option for OSX, but when I select it, the screen just goes dark for a minute, and then I land back at the boot loader.

I hope someone out there can help:smile: Thanks!

I'm having the same problem as enesha, but i cant figure it out. i install easyBCD and add the mac osx entry, and it shows up in the bootloader, but when i press enter, it goes black for a second, and just jumps right back into the bootloader. i can load vista fine, but not OSX

note: ive also tried installed acronis os selector, but it cant seem to find my vista install, and then will only boot into OSX

Hi Pyro,

Just run Acronis Disk Director and set the OS X partition as "bootable"
Then you should be able to use the OS X entry in the Vista menu.

Pyro2927 said:
I'm having the same problem as enesha, but i cant figure it out. i install easyBCD and add the mac osx entry, and it shows up in the bootloader, but when i press enter, it goes black for a second, and just jumps right back into the bootloader. i can load vista fine, but not OSX

note: ive also tried installed acronis os selector, but it cant seem to find my vista install, and then will only boot into OSX
Here's what I have found out.

EasyBCD won't bypass the Darwin Bootloader installed with most Mac OS X, so when you select your mac os from Vista's bootmanager, it actually loads another bootmanager installed with Mac
To test if this is true, when you screen goes black, hit F8 and you'll see a new screen come up.

This occurs because Darwin automatically selects the Active Partition, which is again your Vista, so it loads up your Vista BootLoader and you are caught in a circle

The only kind of fix I've come across is to
go into MAC:
Run Terminal
Type:
sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

Add the following lines:
<key>Timeout</key>
<string>8</string>

Then CTL-O
Enter
Ctl-X to get out

This will give you time to hit F8 so you can select MAC,
of course, it's another Boot Manager so maybe we should just use it instead of BCD?

Back