Vista and P.I.N.G.

Coado

First I must apologize I am not a linux guy but I try to muddle my way through it. I recently have been tasked with trying to have a system dual boot windows vista and P,I.N.G I have been fighting with it for a week now trying first to get lilo to work then neogrub. My confusion is in coverting the lilo syntax that the P.I.N.G forum shared as an example to a working NEOgrub format.

Now I was able to make everything work under XP using the Boot.ini but am frustrated with vista.

This is the format that Lilo needed for XP
boot = /dev/hda
map = /mnt/dos/map
prompt
timeout = 150
vga = normal
lba32
delay = 30
read-onlylarge-memory
root = currentother = /dev/hda1
label = windows
image = /mnt/linux/kernel append="pxe init=/linuxrc root=/dev/ram0 rw noapic nolapic lba devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=33000 load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0"
label = restoration
initrd = /mnt/linux/initrd.gz

When I try to goto NeoGrub the image line under the Windows label is giving me fits.I have also had problems with the ROOT command in the menu.lst PING is on the 2nd Partion of the only hard drive so as I understan it the Root should be:frowning:sd0,1) for a sata drive?Again my apologies for my ignorance I am sure what I am missing is trivial but I have tried so many different things no that I am lost.Thank you for any help you can offer.

Last edited:
This is the format that Lilo needed for XP
boot = /dev/hda
map = /mnt/dos/map
prompt
timeout = 150
vga = normal
lba32
delay = 30
read-onlylarge-memory
root = currentother = /dev/hda1
label = windows
image = /mnt/linux/kernel append="pxe init=/linuxrc root=/dev/ram0 rw noapic nolapic lba devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=33000 load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0"
label = restoration
initrd = /mnt/linux/initrd.gz

title P.I.N.G.
find --set-root /mnt/linux/kernel
kernel /mnt/linux/kernel append="pxe init=/linuxrc root=/dev/ram0 rw noapic nolapic lba devfs=nomount ramdisk_size=33000 load_ramdisk=1 prompt_ramdisk=0"
initrd /mnt/linux/initrd.gz

Back