Cannot load from harddisk
Insert systemdisk and press any key

*i can still boot into vista*

please help
Thanks

Kit

well

for one thing (if i remember correctly)

HD0,2 is first Hard drive, second partition, and seeing as vista still runs, you got the partition right.

otherwise (i cant remember everything about easy, like Sir Guru can (and its not on this machine either))

i cant be of any more help to you :frowning: sorry

Kit, first, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Try using /dev/sda2 instead of (hd0,2) in the GRUB install box.

Addendum:

well

for one thing (if i remember correctly)

HD0,2 is first Hard drive, second partition, and seeing as vista still runs, you got the partition right.

otherwise (i cant remember everything about easy, like Sir Guru can (and its not on this machine either))

i cant be of any more help to you :frowning: sorry

Actually, HD0,2 is the first HD, 3rd partition :wink:

Last edited:
Yes Kahai, Guru is right. The drive partition count start at Zero so hd(0,2) would be the first drive 3RD partition. The first drive 2nd partition would be hd(0,1) and the first drive first partition is hd(0,0). :wink: That always gets people confused.

oh dear.....

so technically my GRUB is currently in the swap partition...

hmmm i think i will reinstall the ubuntu :grinning:

let me see.. what happen.. Thx guys

oh dear.....

so technically my GRUB is currently in the swap partition...

hmmm i think i will reinstall the ubuntu :grinning:

let me see.. what happen.. Thx guys

For what it's worth, you don't have to reinstall. Just point EasyBCD to the SWAP partition instead of the root Ubuntu one :smile:

:tongueout:

i remember in computers everythign starts with zero (0) leave me alone :tongueout:

Mmm. No.:tongueout:

Plus it is spelled everything.:wink:

Just clarifying since many people dont realize this. It solved this person's issue once they adjusted for this numbering system.

For what it's worth, you don't have to reinstall. Just point EasyBCD to the SWAP partition instead of the root Ubuntu one :smile:

too late already re-install

LOL!

and it work this time

only that ubuntu... doesn't seems to support my soundchip on the notebook
:frowning:

it detected soundchip.. but no sound.. HAHAH
or probably i didnt install the library..

so confusing! AHHAHA

This is the thread I've been looking for... after three weeks of trying almost everything I've read on the web, I've now managed to dual boot Vista and Ubuntu on my Asus F5SL Laptop - still have problems in Ubuntu with some things such as Network but can finally move on to resolving those problems (hopefully).

May I respectfully suggest that you STRESS in the Ubuntu - NeoSmart Technologies Wiki that in Ubuntu Install for v7.10 there is a user set up stage before you reach the final section of the partitioning where you use the Advanced button AND that /dev/sdx is the most likely notation to work when selecting the partition on which to install Grub. In my case I first used (hd0,2) as the notation but this resulted in the system requesting a system disk to boot from - a reinstall of Ubuntu using /dev/sd3 resolved this problem for me.

Great work and great forums!

cus, I thought we make it quite clear that anything other than /dev/sd* notation won't work..... Assuming, of course, that people actually follow the directions step-by-step instead of reading it for the general gist/idea and then going on their own.........

Back