vista boot up loop

techieguy

Vista Home Edition 64bit: computer stuck in a boot up loop, there are no error messages, tried last known good config--nothing, computer will not boot into safe mode(any of the options) it just hangs, I have tried the automated start up repair--nothing, system restore to the oldest date available--nothing, I have followed the article from your website "Recovering the Vista or Windows 7 bootloader from DVD", right through to and including the Nuclear holocaust option still nothing. I would like to avoid a wipe and reload of windows, as we're missing some disks to reinstall some software i.e. office, quickbooks, etc.

If it's stuck in a boot loop, then it's actually bluescreening and you're not seeing it.

You need to select the option "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and analyze the BSOD.

I'm pretty sure that's a setting in the o/s, since I can't get into the o/s, I can't make that change. Unless there's another way that I don't know about.

You need to select the option "Disable automatic restart on system failure" and analyze the BSOD.

I'm pretty sure you can only set the option above in the control panel, since I can't get into the o/s, I can't set this option.

It is also never a bad idea to run a check disk from your rescue disk on the system volume;
Code:
chkdsk x: /f /x
use your drive letter instead of x: (then reboot...)

nuts, I didn't see that till today! Anyhow, with that function disabled the computer came to a black screen and just sat there. There comes a point when it is no longer sensible to spend any more time on a problem. I formatted and re installed, problem solved.

Back