Vista Boot woes + REcovery disc confusion

BrickBoxer

Hi guys,
How's it going? I was hoping someone could help me. I'm currently on my sister's laptop, but I've been having problems on my Compaq Vista PC, and up till recently was recieving help from a forum. After some quite helpful initial steps, the replies stopped and my problems became weirder. Currently I can not boot into windows. No matter what mode I'm I in get a:

disk.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Stop: 0x50

It wasn't this bad a few days ago, I could actually boot up in safe mode or normal (for a limited amont of time). I looked around and downloaded your Vista REcovery disc, and it looks like it would help, but there's a problem. When I get to the pick OS screen, the only option is along the lines of "HP Recovery." I found this weird, since I think this is my partition/factory_image. Next, I clicked the load drivers option, hoping to find C but that didn't exactly pan out. There were these locations available:
FActory_image (now acting as C), Local disc (acting as D, but seeminly inaccessable; double clicking seems to load, but then nothing opens) and finally X (boot). I don't know why the drives seemed to have switched and a new object (boot/ X) have appeared, but I'm worried that I won't be able to get my PC up and running again.

I apologize if any of this is confusing, I can elaborate on anything if needed.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,
THanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, I can no longer get a boot up; I tried in safe mode, safe mode with commando prompt, and even last known good config, but it always gives me

disk.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Stop: 0x50

Earlier, I could get to those alternate modes, but after running things like chkdsk or even sfc/scannow they would fail half way or towards the end. Before this recent bout of disk.sys, my main barrier was:

stop: 0xF4

Whether running a test, or opening up a program, it would show up after a bit of lag and then unresponsiveness.

You can run command prompt from the recovery options menu from the disc. Instead of selecting an OS to repair just hit next and select it.

Have you just run a big clutch of old Windows Updates ?
I seem to recall, a month or two ago, WUD put out a fix that caused loads of systems to bluescreen with pagefault.............. etc errors.
Turned out that all the affected systems had been previously infected with malware which had taken over some of the Windows modules. The fix replaced one or more of the infected files, leaving neither the OS nor the Virus running properly, hence the pagefault message.
You should be able to find Virus removal instructions for this problem on the web, if that's what ails you.

http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2008-091809-0911-99

Last edited:
Awesome! :smile: You guys helped a bunch, but sadly a problem towards the end :frowning:

USN Journalverification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters
detected in file 31 of name .
An unspecified error occured.

X:\Sources>

This sounds bad, is there anything I can do from here? I'm afraid to switch off my pc at this stage. This is so weird, I had tons of space free for my pc before problems. :frowning:

Thanks, I'll start doing that. How should I exit the current Command prompt? OR should I simply hit X?
edit: heh, stupid question, sorry. Anyways, thanks. Currently in ubuntu and am starting the back up process. I'll let you guys know when I'm finished. :smile:

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for the help. I'm still backing up; it's being going from pretty fast to legendarily slow file transfers. Anyway, I noticed something a bit weird in users----> [name]:

ntuser.dat

ntuser.dat.LOG1

ntuser.dat.LOG2

ntuser.ini

NTUSER.DAT {3a539871-6a70-7011db-887c-d362bd253390}.TM.blf

NTUSER.DAT {3a539871-6a70-7011db-887c-d362bd253390}.TMContainer00000000000000000001.regtrans-ms

NTUSER.DAT {3a539871-6a70-7011db-887c-d362bd253390}.TMContainer00000000000000000002.regtrans-ms

I normally don't look in tthere, but I don't think that's normal. On the other forum I mentioned, they had me use Malwarebytes, ComboFix, and Hijackthis. I had some computer trouble around some of the processes, do you think these weird files could not only be the cause of my recent issues, but be leftovers from improverly completed processes? Thanks in advance.

Phew, thanks guys. Well, the backing up is almost done, I'll hopefully be done tomorrow, then we can proceed. One interesting thing is, with the overall stability of my system with ubntu, I'm really sure that hardware isnt an issue. Maybe driver issues?

Yep, has to be software/driver related, since your hard disk is just fine (or appears that way since you're able to get to your files).

Gah, slight delay; the transfers at times start up very fast, then drop to a few kb a second. Thus the projected. SOrry about that. Anyways, for reference, what are some of the steps I should do once the transfers finish? Crash dump? Something with driver analysis?

System file checker from command prompt:

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows\

Chkdsk again if sfc found some problems that it was able to fix.

System restore instead of command prompt from the menu if the above doesn't work

All of that failing a complete re-install of Windows.

No, from the recovery disc. Only thing you won't be able to do is re-install Windows (which you'll need a full Windows disc for), but lets hope it doesn't come to that.

Ok, thanks, I'll let you guys know how it all goes. :smile:

OH yes and quick question, what's the difference between these two? sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows\

Oh, hehe, my mistake I thought it was sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ OR /offwindir=c:\windows\

the /offwindir threw me off. I'm used to seeing \ instead of /

Back