Vista dual boot only loading with dvd?

Hi, Ive read up n down the forum but cannot seem to find my particular problem
I have two sata drives
on the first I have XP ..shown as partitions C: OS and E: Games
on the 2nd drive I have Vista.. F: New Volume

I reinstalled Vista but forgot to unplug XP drive. I can change my start up in BIOS from drive to drive but Vista only loads if I have the DVD in .
How do I get the dualboot back?
Without the DVD in I get missing Boot errors.
I dont mind having to flick between the two in BIOS but having the DVD in is a pain.

This is the info from EasyBCD:
There are a total of 2 entries lista in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout:30 seconds
Default OS: Microsoft Windows Vista

Entry #1

Name: Earlier Version of Windows
BCD ID: {ntldr}
Drive: D:\

Entry#2

Name: Microsoft Windows Vista
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

any help would be appreciated. I have tried bootrec.exe/fixmbr etc through command prompt to no avail
cheers
Tigershuffle

If you're lying around ( cough cough snuffle) looking to occupy yourself, you could have a read of this nice illustrated guide which will give you the background knowldge to know what it is you're trying to achieve. (Always nice to actually understand what you're doing !)

Thanks for all your help... :grinning:
All working fine..........all updated and finally I dont have to mess around with Bios to choose which drive to use.....

Have a merry Christmas (not too early is it??!)
cheers .........you don't have a cure for the common cold (man flu) do you..lol
Tigershuffle

Saw something on TV only last night actually.
Evidently (scientifically proven - double blind testing and all that) a hot fruit squash will work wonders.
(the old wives remedy of the hot toddy has some basis in fact. But it's the lemon and the heat rather than the whiskey and the honey that are most significant. However enough whiskey added to the hot fruity drink, and you won't care that you've got a cold.)

Oh and Merry Christmas to you too !

Last edited:
Back