Vista Hangs(dual boot osx)

sybadm

Hi,
I'm very new to Neosmart, Didn't find a link to create new post.

I had Windows Vista installed on my HP dv2000 notebook. Which has 300 GB of disk and initially partitioned as C:\ =250 GB and H:\(HP_Recovery)=15GB. Now I used GParted to have one more partition for OS X installation, usinf GParted I resized C:\ partition as C:\=195GB and created 55GB new parttion for OS X. Then I installed OSX operating system on 55GB new partition, then for to make it dual bootable system I used bcdedit.exe to add chain0 file to add new entry for "MAC OS X". Everything was working fine I was able to boot system using both OS without any issue. Suddenly Vista is no longer responding, it gets hung on the bootup at "Microsft Corporation" . I tried following things:-
1. F8 - Best known configuration (last boot) (hangs on "microsoft corporation")
2. F8 - Safemode with command prompt (hangs on crcdisk)
3. F8/F11 HP repair option (hangs on "microsoft corporation")
4. With recovery disc (hangs on "microsoft corporation")
5. With Vista full installation disk (hangs on "microsoft corporation")
6. Tried SpinRite s/w to debug the disk problem... nothing reported.

I'm getting following error when I press ESC at Launch Startup repair(Recommended)

/*****

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the
cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your windows installation disk and restart your computer.
2. choose your language settings, then click "Next."
3. click "Repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance

File: \chain0

Info: The selected entery could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

****/

Now I'm only able to see all my partitions from OS X including my NTFS c:\(Windows) and h:\ (HP_Recovery)

Is there any way I can recover the Widows Boot Manager from H:\(HP_Recovery) drive?

Many thanks in advance,
Abhijit

Terry, Thanks for warm welcome.

I actually tried your soultion but I'm not lucky chap. Vista Recovery disc and Vista full s/w DVD halts at the same boot screen "Microsoft corporation".

Just now I copied the BOOT folder from HP_Recovery disc to C:\ using Mac OS X (NTFS-3G).

This time it was not surpise to me that, now no more boot from Mac OS, as I replaced the MAC OS X bootloader entries which were there in c:\BOOT folder.

I'm very sure that I can recover my OS X anytime..... doubt if I can recover Win.

Cheers,
Abhijit

Terry, Thanks for warm welcome.

I actually tried your soultion but I'm not lucky chap. Vista Recovery disc and Vista full s/w DVD halts at the same boot screen "Microsoft corporation".

Hi sybadm.
You need to boot from the Recovery CD, and not from the hard drive. :wink: To do this, simply put the CD/DVD drive first in your computer's BIOS boot sequence, and remember to push a key when you get a message saying "Press any key to boot off the CD".

Cheers, and good luck. Let us know if you have any more questions, or if the Recovery CD fixes the issue with Windows not booting.

-Coolname007

Coolman, Thanks for your response.

I really tried these options by confirgring boot options and pressing key to boot from DVD, it actually loads the os from DVD but as I said it gets stuck at "Microsoft Corporation". The things is WBM entry for winload.exe is somehow pointing to chain0 which is for OS X.

I'm very sure that there is no hardware/disk issue as I'm able to see(read/write) all NTFS data from OSX and GParted. Though GParted reports that there is some coruption on the NTFS drive(mount point).

Regards,
Abhijit

Coolman, Thanks for your response.

I really tried these options by confirgring boot options and pressing key to boot from DVD, it actually loads the os from DVD but as I said it gets stuck at "Microsoft Corporation".
I assume by that you mean it gets stuck at "Microsoft Corporation" when you don't push a key? When you're actually booting from the DVD (i.e. after pushing a key when getting the message), I don't think there's any such screen. You would only be getting to such a screen if you are not pushing a key when you get the message "Press any key to boot from the CD".
I'm very sure that there is no hardware/disk issue as I'm able to see(read/write) all NTFS data from OSX and GParted. Though GParted reports that there is some coruption on the NTFS drive(mount point).

Regards,
Abhijit
Well, there be your problem. :smile: Fix the issue with the corruption on the NTFS partition at the mount point, you'll fix the issue with Windows not booting. :wink: Have you tried chkdsk?

-Coolname007

hi i have the exact same problem with my hp dv 2700. i cannot get past the microsoft corporation and green scroll page. any idea how to get around this problem? safe mode leads to the same dead end.

If the above instructions didn't work than system restore from recovery disk is your only hope in saving your current installation.

Back