Vista Hangs on Resume, Screensaver, or Hibernate. Help!

apoole33

Please help! Can't figure out how to get Vista out of hibernate, sleep or even screensaver. I just get a blank screen . All I can do is reboot, over and over.I am not anywhere near a guru, so please speak slowly and use small words LOL. Thank you.

Hi apoole33,

What's your graphics card? Do you know if you have ATi or nVidia (or neither)?

It sounds like you have some bad drivers, if you tell us what your card is, I'll give you the link to the latest drivers you can download and install.

Good luck.

Addendum:

Thread moved to correct forum.

Last edited:
I had a driver problem once on my XP, it was a IMB think-something lol mid tower

they didnt give me the software for the on board graphics, so i had to pretty much just go and buy a new card (which wasnt new lol )

that new card came with the drivers, and i just had to download the updates, and after that i reinstalled the drivers for the on-board graphics too

vista hangs on resume

Hello Sir,

You answered a gentleman about the same problem but I never saw any further communication. I recently bought and built a new computer:

ASUS Striker Extreme
Dou Core 2 Quad Q6600
Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX
EVGA 640P2N825AR e-GeForce 8800 GTS Superclocked 640MB GDDR3 PCI Express
Windows Vista Ultimate

Once the computer resumes all I can get is a blank screen with a cursor blinking in the top left corner. I have to reboot and everythin seems fine. Is there a possibility of wrong BIOS configuration, or is this just a driver problem with nvidia, or just windows vista.

I am sure you are busy, but if you could provided me a good idea I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Paul

Addendum:

Just wondering if you ever found a solution to your issue with sleep resume?

Last edited:
HELLO paul! :smile:

well. idk about that GTS8800... Nvidia has completely dropped the ball when it has come to VIsta and im have seen a bunch of "vista ready" graphics cards. and ive read enough about all the problems that people have been having...

i think that like CG said before that its the compatibility problem between nivida drivers and windows vista. however if you do have the latest drivers... idk then...

if not: here is a page i just foudn:
Hotfixes

just select which bit of processor you are using (either 32 or 64 bit) and download away i do believe

or here is the vista (32) forceware: ForceWare Release 163

and the vista (64) force ware:
ForceWare Release 163

that might help some thing. :smile:

i hope i could help :smile:

Hi Paul, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

If there's a software-based fix for this bug, it should be in the links that Kahai posted above.
Now as for BIOS configuration - that wouldn't cause the actual problem, but you may be able to work around the problem from the BIOS:

In the BIOS there is a section for Power Settings. In there you might find a reference to an Sx mode, where 'x' is a number from 1 to 4. Try lowering the value a bit, and see if that doesn't help out.

But I recommend installing those hotfixes first and seeing what they do.

Yeah, I have the same problem with my Toshiba Laptop.
Sometimes when it goes to sleep it wont wake up.
I believe i have the latest drivers for my GC
However, i can tell the system is on because the fan can be heard and the power lights are on.
Sometimes it wakes normally and sometimes not.
The only i get it to work again is by rebooting (holding power for 10 secs)
ive searched online and i read something about the problem being with vista but i couldnt find the fix
Please Help:??:??

I also have problem but the problem is not so serious. I'm using nvidia geforce go 7000 series and the driver seems to have some problem.

Sometimes during startup or recover from hibernate or standby, windows will prompt for video hardware error and has recover from it, during that time, the screen refresh itself and lag for a few seconds and can use back smoothly.

I wonder can I download the forceware driver and test on my current card on vista?

Back