Vista HnS Uninstaller Hanging

Linux_wannabe

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]I am having troubles with uninstalling Vista HnS and my multi-boot is in shambles. Previously, it (the HnS uninstaller) had frozen[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif] on “Uninstalling – Stage 0/4” “Current Action: Uninstalling HnS from the bootloader.” Trying it again few days later, after producing an error message it progressed to where it's currently at: “Uninstalling – Stage 1/4” “Current Action: Uninstalling HnS from the bootloader.”[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]That error message was as follows:[/FONT][/FONT]
“[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]See the end of this message for details on invoking [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]************** Exception Text **************[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]System.IO.IOException: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError()[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]at System.IO.File.Move(String sourceFileName, String destFileName)[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]at Vista_HnS.Utils.RenameBootFile(String name, String name2, Char drive)[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]at Vista_HnS.HnS.UndoSetupBoot()[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]at Vista_HnS.HnS.UndoNextStep()[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]at Vista_HnS.HnS.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]************** Loaded Assemblies **************[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]mscorlib[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]----------------------------------------[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]UI[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Assembly Version: 0.5.0.38[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Win32 Version: 0.5.0.38[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Vista%20HnS/UI.exe[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]System.Windows.Forms[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.1434 (REDBITS.050727-1400)[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Vista HnS[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Assembly Version: 0.5.0.38[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Win32 Version: 0.5.0.38[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Vista%20HnS/Vista%20HnS.DLL[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]System[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]System.Drawing[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Accessibility[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]System.Management[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Management/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Management.dll[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]************** JIT Debugging **************[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]application or computer (machine.config) must have the[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]The application must also be compiled with debugging[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]enabled.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]For example:[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]<configuration>[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]</configuration>[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]rather than be handled by this dialog box.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]I do not understand what the problem was/is from that error message. All this stuff is pretty much over my head, but Terry60 did get the point across to me that trouble is bound to follow if I make alterations/installations without uninstalling HnS.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Terry60, I know you already pointed me there, but I can't figure out how to manipulate the BB software to look specifically at Post 129 within the “Ideas and Wishlists” section.:shame: Can you please give me instructions?[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Thank you very much![/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Darin[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Yeah, it's not my preference, either, Terry60, but at least I've got willing experts like yourselves helping me wade through things... I honestly can't thank you guys enough! I'll hafta check out that URL, thanks![/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Guru, I'd be happy to post that log info—if only I knew where it was hiding. The C:\PROGRAM Files\Vista HnS directory has a Data folder containing bootloader files (grldr, NTDETECT.COM, and ntldr) and an Internet Shortcut. An application (NST Downloader.exe), the ReadMe file, the UI application, an HnS.dll application extension, and another Internet Shortcut (Updates link) round out the list. Apparently, 'we don't need no stinking log file!' lol[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Think I'll go check out Terry60's link, but I would feel a lot better if I was sure that the 'Stop' button had been successfully actuated and nothing was gonna get hammered by a reboot...[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]This should probably be a new post, but I'd also like your input on the best way to divide up the 80 GB drive we're dealing with here to add XP Pro SP3 to the mix. (I plan to resize the partitions so as to roughly dedicate an equal size to XP as to Vista. I plan for my primary-use Windows to be XP instead of Vista. And I do still hope to rescue the Ubuntu installation yet.)[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]As always, thank you very much for your assistance![/FONT]

Darin, are you using the latest version of Vista HnS? The logging feature was only recently added to it...

As for the 80GBs... XP needs to be primary, Vista and Linux don't. Vista needs more size than any of the rest. Not sure what else I can advise on the matter?

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]That would explain it's absence. I've not been able to obtain the build 44 version. Internet Explorer 7's 'Security Settings' allow me to do approximately nothing. :angry: With my default Firefox 2.0, Netscape 9, and Opera 9, clicking it's link results in me being prompted to log-in (even if I already am logged-in). After logging-in, of course, I end up at some generic page that doesn't have the download link. :wtf: Do you have any suggestions to counter this issue?[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]I appreciate the partition info! :smile:[/FONT]

Darin, other users have reported a similar issue in the past :/
Only thing I can suggest is to check the "Keep me logged in" checkbox then try again?

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]I will give that a shot—hopefully that'll do the trick...[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]If I am able to get the build 41, I will try its Uninstaller before visiting Terry60's 'deletion link.'[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Thanks:grinning:,[/FONT]

Addendum:

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Checking 'Remember Me' did make a considerable difference! Bless your heart, sir!:grinning: But, for some reason, in Firefox when I toggle the radio selector button over to 'Save to Disk' the stupid 'OK' button doesn't become clickable:rage:. (It never ends!) lol[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]I'm really not too comfortable with just opening links that haven't been saved to disk and scanned. And, in this case I'm not even sure if that would even be desirable.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]I'll try to get it with different browsers, but I'm pretty sure that I'll run into the same thing...:wtf:[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]I'll keep on keepin' on.[/FONT]

Addendum:

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Okay! I was FINALLY able to get the latest build of HnS!:happy: Now I'm having a conundrum of what to do with it. When I try to extract the contents of the Rar to the C:\Program Files\Vista HnS folder, it only succeeds in extracting the ReadMe file, even though I specify 'All Files'. So, my thinking tells me to sh!tcan everything that's currently in that folder and to try the extracting again. However, the UI is still running and I don't even have the slightest idea what all is taking place in the background, so I haven't tried that yet for fear of leaving it all hosed. The UI's 'Stop' button doesn't appear to be working and every time I try closing it, I'm warned to wait for it to finish it's current operation. I reckon that that's gonna take a hell of a long time. Definitely longer than I want to wait!:lol: What are your thoughts, Mahmoud??:?? I'll be happy to get back to it after getting a bit of sleep—I'm old! (and tired)[/FONT]

Last edited:
You need to stop HnS first. Start the task manager (ctrl+shift+esc) and kill the process "UI.exe"
then extract the other files.

Gimme a Break!

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]This is driving me crazy, man! I closed-out HnS as you suggested. (Bravo for knowing the proper key combo for Task Manager, BTW—the majority of the world will swear you're wrong and that it's actually CTRL+ALT+DEL!) But the STUPID compression utility is 'stuck' on selecting the ReadMe file that I opened and read before doing anything with the download. I click 'invert selection' and specify it to extract 'All Files' but, still, when done it states “1 File extracted”. :rage:Weird thing is—it doesn't even really extract the ReadMe. I have erased all that was in the HnS directory. Yet after extracting, that folder is empty. (?):wtf: I have erased the download of the Rar file and downloaded it again, but it still “remembered” that I had viewed the ReadMe before and so it already kinda had “selected” just that one to extract by default.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]I haven't tried using a different compression utility yet and will try that next. I won't make the mistake of reading the ReadMe file next time!:tongueout:oint:[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Feel free to enlighten me on anything that my logic may be leading me astray on; and hang in there with me, please, bud! We'll get it, eventually!:smile:[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]That would just be too easy!:brows: lol I appreciate the offer and will keep it in mind as a last resort, but I don't wanna let this damn thing win! Let me work on it a bit more.[/FONT]

Back