Vista Home Basic

moose

My Brother has an Evesham Laptop bought from Ideal World UK with Home Basic preinstalled , its still in warranty (just)and it has just decided not to let him log on and despite doing everything when starting in safe mode it still will not allow access. Hes phoned both Evesham and Ideal world neither one want to take on the problem , so is there any other option to get this thing working again. No oem discs were supplied . It is the 32 bit version .
Help please
noexpression.gif

You might have a recovery partition on your laptop. Check the documentation for your model or the manufacturer's website to find out how to boot from it. If not, find a friend with a Vista DVD (Regardless of version) that you can borrow. As long as you use the product key on the certificate found on the laptop, it is legal to reinstall Windows.

Last edited:
Thanks Guys , I have downloaded the fix to cd and also printed the instructions to follow.
If that fails I will attempt to install a copy of Vista that came with a Dell laptop , just to clarify I use the licence code that came with the Evesham when installing ?

Hello to all from a new member, just joined.

I downloaded the Vista Recovery Disc from the link provided [URL="http://neosmart.net/forums/member.php?u=69"]by Makaveli213 above, Image Burn and uTorrent, and installed the latter two on my computer. However, the recovery disc will not install to burn because it is "Invalid or unsupported file format". Could someone please advise me as to what went wrong?
[/URL]
I am trying to burn the Vista Recovery Disc to help sort out my father-in-law's computer who cannot log on to his computer because every time he starts it, it does not go beyond the "Installing 1 of 3 updates", and on accasions he gets the startup repair window but still cannot access his desktop window. His machine is a Dell Inspiron with Vista Home Basic OS. All help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Gurkha, welcome to NST.
Did you follow the instructions on how to burn an ISO image ?
Has your father-in-law tried system restore back to before the update started. (It's one of the options available from the repair screen when you boot the Vista DVD, or our recovery disk)

Last edited:
Hi Gurkha, welcome to NST.
Did you follow the instructions on how to burn an ISO image ?
Has your father-in-law tried system restore back to before the update started. (It's one of the options available from the repair screen when you boot the Vista DVD, or our recovery disk)

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your helpful reply, and for the welcome. I have now printed the instructions and I will try it later.

My father-in-law cannot get past the "Installing 1 of 3 updates" screen, therefore, I am hoping that this recovery disc will help.

How do I configure to receive e-mail notifications of replies? Thanks. :smile: (I have now found out how and have enabled the e-mail notifications :lol:smile:

PS. I followed the instructions on how to burn an ISO image but when I browse for the file, it does not show anywhere. I first looked in the download folder, then dragged and dropped in my desktop - no luck.

I downloaded the x86 Version of the recovery disc. My OS is Vista Premium. Am I doing something wrong here?

Last edited:
Are you sure you dont need the 64 Bit version?

Thank you. How do I find this out? My OS is 32 bits, I think. :??

I shall download and try it and feedback.

PS. I downloaded the 64 bit version and when attempting to burn it, it does not show anywhere and when attempting to open the file to burn, I get the same message; "Invalid or unsupported file format". Do I need to do something with the uTorrent file that I downloaded separately when downloading the Image Burn utility and Vista Recovery Disc files?

Last edited:
You dont open the ISO. The ISO file stays as is. You select that file from ImgBurn and burn it as is. Maybe that is where you are going wrong.

You dont open the ISO. The ISO file stays as is. You select that file from ImgBurn and burn it as is. Maybe that is where you are going wrong.

Thank you for such a prompt reply, much appreciated.

I cannot see the ISO file anywhere when I browse for files in ImgBurn, even though I have saved it on my desktop, which I dragged out from the downloads folder??

Thank you. How do I find this out? My OS is 32 bits, I think. :??

If you're unsure, it is 32-bit. The disc well tell you otherwise whether or not you need the other.

When browsing for the file, make sure that under file type the "all" option is selected from the drop-down if available and then navigate to c:\users\<your username>\desktop\

Last edited:
Is the "Filetype" dialog set to display ISO images or something else (perhaps .img or .cue)

Thank you for your helpful reply. I tried them all but without success. Any other suggestions please?

Addendum:

If you're unsure, it is 32-bit. The disc well tell you otherwise whether or not you need the other.

When browsing for the file, make sure that under file type the "all" option is selected from the drop-down if available and then navigate to c:\users\<your username>\desktop\

Hi Justin > thank you for your helpful reply too. I tried looking in the option you suggested and did find the file, however, when clicking on it to open it, I get the "Invalid or unsupported file format" message again.

I hope that someone can help me to get it right. Thanks.

Addendum:

I am trying to burn the Vista Recovery Disc to help sort out my father-in-law's computer who cannot log on to his computer because every time he starts it, it does not go beyond the "Installing 1 of 3 updates", and on occasions he gets the startup repair window but still cannot access his desktop window. His machine is a Dell Inspiron with Vista Home Basic OS. All help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

I forgot to mention earlier that I have the Vista Ultimate disc, can I use this to repair my father-in-law's problem as described above in my original new post? I am struggling to burn the Vista Recovery disc that I downloaded here.

Last edited:
Sure, as long as you don't use your product key for purposes such as re-installing vista on his computer.

Back