Vista installed, Can't load XP

delc

Hi Guys,

I want to set-up a dual boot using vista and XP. I've just got a laptop with Vista preinstalled - no Vista disks unfortunately but all runs fine.

I've been following the instructions on your wiki for loading XP when vista already installed (clear and easy to follow by the way !). Used GParted to create a new partion for XP. Now have the following partitions:
S: System 1.46 GB
C: Vista 179.71 GB
D: (new) 107.63 GB
All NTFS - C and D primary.

When booting from my XP disk (legit copy !), after the file installs I get the following error in windows set-up:
‘A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

Check for viruses. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run chkdsk /f to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B + 4 addresses'

I've run check disk on both c and d drives - no errors. I can still boot and run vista but I can't get round this error on the XP load. I suspect something basic but don't have enough knowledge of dual-booting (1st time I tried !) to correct this.

Any help appreciated !

Delc

Hi Delc, welcome to NST.
It sounds as though you're using a pre-SP2 XP CD. Native SATA support wasn't included on XP till SP2.
Go to your OEM website and download their XP SATA drivers for your PC model, load them on a floppy, and use the setup option (F6 I think) to pre-load SATA drivers before the XP install continues.

You may also be able to change the operating mode of your hard drive controller in your BIOS. For instance, from AHCI mode to ATA. I had that problem too when attempting to install XP on my Dell Studio 1535 laptop which came pre-loaded with Vista. I solved it by changing the operating mode, which allowed the setup program to continue without the BSOD message.

Back