Vista is going so slow

AshtonParker

My friend built this computer and then he gave it to me when he went to college. It is running vista home premium. All was fine and dandy until about two months ago where it started turning off and then restarting. I didn't really think about it to much until a month ago where it started going really really slow. I looked around in the processes and saw that it would ping to 100% cpu. It does this when I am not even running anything big. It also refuses to stream any videos, and frequently likes to freeze up on me. What should I do?

Hi Ashton, welcome to NST.
Have you got Anti-Virus, Firewall and Windows Defender active ?
Your system could be in need of a good clean-up (read this post), or worse, might have a trojan that's using your system in a bot network.
Google for Virus scanners and run as many as possible to search your system for Malware.

Same problem

Hi,

I've just got into this problem as well. BCDEDIT or EasyBCD push the CPU usage up to 100% whenever they are running.

I can get minor relief by closing them via the Task Manager, but they're not gone for long. Sometimes multiple instances of BCDEDIT are running.

Could this be a new trojan or malware?

I've done a few scans and have come up with nothing. But this wasn't happening 24hrs ago.

The only system change I have made is installing MediaMonkey. This has never caused me such troubles in the past.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

I've just got into this problem as well. BCDEDIT or EasyBCD push the CPU usage up to 100% whenever they are running.

I can get minor relief by closing them via the Task Manager, but they're not gone for long. Sometimes multiple instances of BCDEDIT are running.

Could this be a new trojan or malware?

I've done a few scans and have come up with nothing. But this wasn't happening 24hrs ago.

The only system change I have made is installing MediaMonkey. This has never caused me such troubles in the past.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What software did you use to scan your PC for malware? Try Vipre from sunbeltsoftware.com. It probably has the best virus/malware/whatever scanner out there you can find. :wink: AVG 8.0 is good for preventing them from infecting your system in the first place though.

Whatever virus/spyware protection software you're currently using is probably not good enough. Go for one of the better ones.

-Coolname007

Are you starting EasyBCD or BCDedit ?
Neither should be running at all if you didn't start them.
If you did, is it because you've got a boot problem you're trying to fix, and this problem is an extra complication ?
Try system restore back to before the Media Monkey install and see if the problem disappears.
Then set another restore point and install it again. If the problem happens again it would suggest that the software isn't Vista compatible.

Media Monkey seems to be the culprit. Did you get the installer from thier website? It appears as if you got a trojan disgusing itself as other proccesses or hijacking them for resources. You should do a scan first before system restore in safe mode, so that it isn't running actively and you can ensure that your system restore points are safe.

Back