Vista not booting after NeoGrub is installed

lupuscr78

Hi,

I'd appreciate any help with this problem. I successfully used EasyBCD to set up a dual boot system with Vista Home Premium and XP Home Edition installed in the same drive. This worked fine, but the Vista partition was still visible from XP.

After some reading, I decided to use NeoGrub to boot into XP so that I could be able to hide the Vista partition from XP. I followed the instructions posted on this website at How-To: Hide Vista Partition from XP with NeoGrub! The NeoSmart Files to hide the Vista partition,=.

Windows Boot Manager lists the original option for booting into Vista (which I haven't changed ever since I installed EasyBCD) and the NeoGrub option to boot XP. I can successfully boot XP, but I haven't been able to boot Vista.

Vista's automatic repair utility didn't fix this problem either. After booting with the Windows Vista cd and running diskpart, I can see that the Vista partition remains hidden and no drive letter has been assigned to it. Obviously, I cannot edit NeoGrub's menu.lst file to add an option to unhide the Vista partition since the file is located in this partition.

Can anybody help me fix Vista's boot? Is my only option to manually rebuild bootloader? I can follow the instructions posted on this website to that effect, but I don't want to make things worse without knowing it.

Thanks a lot for any help and sorry for the huge post! :smile:

Hi Lupuscr, welcome to the forum
Are you having the same problem as I had when I first came here last November ?
http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1186
If so, follow the links to fix the problem, then do as Guru suggests and start using HnS which has replaced the 2 stage neogrub method with a much more convenient single boot.

Rebuild the bootloader, and don't use NeoGrub to hide Vista... that's what HnS is here for:
http://neosmart.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1341

On the working dual boot here I simply used the HnS tool to see XP added in. Immediately following the post tests the chainloader there provides the option for XP since Vista is set as default. The second entries by EasyBCD were found to be simply an extra step not needed since the HnS boot configuration tool does all the work of collecting the XP boot information in order to create it's own boot.ini.hns files.

Great News lupu, glad to have helped.
Keep visiting occasionally, and check on progress. Guru's always likely to come up with more useful goodies at any time.

Back