Vista not booting after NT password crack

Zpike

I have a friend who recently inherited a windows vista laptop from a deceased grandmother. Since she did not know the password to any of the accounts on the laptop and did not have the recovery cd's I used a Windows NT password crack to remove the password. This utility has worked fine on Windows XP workstations in the past, but this was the first time I have used it with Vista. The crack seemed to remove the passwords successfully, but after restart, would not load Vista. The Vista screen comes up like it is loading, but then loads a blank screen. If I boot to safe mode it just freezes. Can this be repaired at this point or is Vista borked? I have also tried the Vista 32 bit repair cd's listed on this forum. On my own WinXP system, they boot fine. However, on the Win Vista laptop they boot to the same blank screen. Any suggestions?

Hi Zpike, welcome to NST.
I think your "borked" assessment is correct.
Do you know someone with a Vista DVD ?
Your zero-cost legal option is to do a fresh Vista install using the Vista serial number from the PC, not from the DVD.
Otherwise the next cheapest option is to buy a set of the recovery media for that make and model from the OEM directly.

Back