Vista on nVRaid Stripe Ubuntu on Separate HDD

JRd1st

Here's my situation;
I already had Vista installed on an nVidia Stripe array on 2 WD Raptors. I then installed Ubuntu Feisty on a seperate HDD from the live CD (I used the AMD 64 version, since I have an X2).

During the install, Feisty never saw my Vista installation, I guess because it's on a RAID setup. Windows doesn't even see the drive I have Ubuntu on anymore, but I can still boot to either OS depending on which drive I have my boot priority set to.

What to do?

I'd prefer using a Vista boot menu, because I intend for Vista to be my default.

I've tried using EasyBCD, and unless I'm doing it wrong, it just isn't doing it. The best I can get is a Grub4DOS menu with 4 Kernal entries and a Memtest entry but they all give an error.

Last edited:
Hi JRd1st, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

Your problem is caused by this: Dont unplug your boot drive before installing a new OS! Please! at The NeoSmart Files

The solution is to boot into Ubuntu, open /boot/grub/menu.lst, and either add or subtract one to the hard-drive value for each entry to make it synchronized with a single bootloader.

i.e., if Ubuntu is your first drive, add one: (hd0,1) -> (hd1,0). If it's the second: (hd1,2) -> (2,2)

Reboot, and update your BIOS to load Vista. Use the Linux entry in the EasyBCD bootloader, Ubuntu should now work.

:smile:

I didn't unplug my vista drive. The Ubuntu installer just didn't see it because it's on a RAID, drive, I think.

My Vista is on a RAID consisting of 2 SATA drives. Ubuntu is on the first ATA drive, so it's hd0.

I'm not pointing any fingers, just explaining the concept behind it (doesn't make a difference why so long as when you installed XX operating system your system drive wasn't visible).

Just open menu.lst and change it to point to what the Ubuntu drive would be if your RAID array is set as primary boot.

You mean if I change this;

Code:
title        Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
root        (hd0,0)
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=1c3d49be-4daa-4d3d-9f27-6f9ba76c80d1 ro quiet splash
initrd        /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
quiet
savedefault

title        Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic (recovery mode)
root        (hd0,0)
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=1c3d49be-4daa-4d3d-9f27-6f9ba76c80d1 ro single

title        Ubuntu, memtest86+
root        (hd0,0)
kernel        /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

to this;

Code:
title        Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic
root        (hd1,0)
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=1c3d49be-4daa-4d3d-9f27-6f9ba76c80d1 ro quiet splash
quiet
savedefault

title        Ubuntu, kernel 2.6.20-15-generic (recovery mode)
root        (hd1,0)
kernel        /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.20-15-generic root=UUID=1c3d49be-4daa-4d3d-9f27-6f9ba76c80d1 ro single

title        Ubuntu, memtest86+
root        (hd1,0)
kernel        /boot/memtest86+.bin
quiet

Then EasyBCD will be able to start Ubuntu? Doesnt really make sense to me since this HDD is the only ATA drive in my system (besides my DVD RW), I have 3 SATAś besides it. But then again, I a Linux newb, and Ie already installed Ubuntu 4 times in the past 3 days, so if it gets borked again, what the heck. lol

OK, then do this:

Get back to the Grub4Dos console/prompt and type in
Code:
find /boot/initrd.img-2.6.20-15-generic
It'll print out a (hdx,y) value that you should use in your Ubuntu menu.lst

Back