Vista only boots via DVD

RetGI

I'll be honest here, I don't know what I'm doing and that's why I'm having this problem. I have two separate drives, one with vista and the other with XP. I've normally just gone into the BIOS to change which drive I boot to but got tired of that. So I originally loaded a program called "Vistaboot pro" thinking that's what I needed but that's where my problems began. Now whenever I boot up I have to have my Vista DVD installed and boot via the DVD. It will no longer boot from the Vista drive. I did a repair on the DVD but that didn't help or change anything.
I read somewhere that Vistabootpro should be removed and BCD easy installed in it's place but i can't figure out what to do with it either. Here's a message I get when i try to boot via the Vista drive: windows\system32\winload.exe "The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt. Can anyone here walk me through this situation? Thanks..

Hi RetGI, welcome to NeoSmart Technologies.

VistaBootPRO is a poor imitation of EasyBCD, and has been known to completely ruin systems - not your fault.

Give this a shot:
  • Stick your Vista DVD in the drive and boot into Vista.
  • Install EasyBCD
  • Run EasyBCD. Click "Diagnostics" then "Reset BCD Data"

That should probably do the trick. If it doesn't post back and we'll see what else we can try.

Back