Vista Recover: How Can I Ouput to External Display?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

MY question is: how can I make my laptop output to an external display while running the easy recovery disc? Is there a keystroke shortcut I can use?

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y430.

The screen is cracked and only displays a bit of the top left hand corner. So I am not completely blind, but basically blind.

Thanks!

Addendum

I am looking at my laptop now. I booted my computer using the easy recovery disc. This is for vista btw. As I said above, I can't see anything on my screen excet a column on the lefthandside about 1/8 width of the screen. In this column only the upper third is totally legible. Below this its a blurry messy blinking image in which I can make out icons but very hard to see what they are titled.

Here is what is in the legible corner: I can see a grey back drop and the corrner of a white box that says:

Easy
Welc
auto
you
ane

This shows you where the screen stops working. I have been able to open what looks like an application menu bar in bottom left corner but cannot get to the graphics option.

I would like to do a backup before trying to do the other actions, but if its possible to do an automatic recovery without deleting or endangering my files perhpas someone could provide keystroke instructions, e.g., hit tab four times, then return, then return at the blue screen. I really can't use my mouse to navigate because I cannot see.

Addendum

althouggh I could use my mouse to navigate in the upper left corner of screen and in windows, for example, I have been able to use keystrokes to open boxes and then blindly search for them with the mouse and then move them over to the upper left corner.

Output To External Display in BIOS

Hi,
I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y430 laptop whose screen is broken, except for the upper left corner. Windows will not load on my computer. I have plugged in a VGA and HDMI cord to a LCD external monitor from the laptop but it won't output when I am in BIOS or using the EasyRe Vista disc.

Anyone know how to use the BIOS menu make the laptop output to an external display on boot?

I have been able to boot the computer with the EasyRe disc. Anyone know how to output to an external monitor when I am at the Vista EasyRe start screen (the screen that comes up first when booting from CD)?

Thanks if you can help.

I've never heard of a BIOS setting for multiple displays. That's a function of your graphics card Control Panel or the graphics software that should be installed for your motherboard, if graphics are built-in, and would normally be controlled by right-clicking the desktop and going to the graphics properties to enable a second screen.

Couldn't you connect it to another computer or laptop via USB and simply pull the documents etc. from it onto the other machine for backup? That would be good for anything stored except possibly for emails.

Maybe there is some other way but that is all that occurs to me at this time.

Maybe someone else might come along with a brainwave.

Last edited:
I've never heard of a BIOS setting for multiple displays. That's a function of your graphics card Control Panel or the graphics software that should be installed for your motherboard, if graphics are built-in, and would normally be controlled by right-clicking the desktop and going to the graphics properties to enable a second screen.

Couldn't you connect it to another computer or laptop via USB and simply pull the documents etc. from it onto the other machine for backup? That would be good for anything stored except possibly for emails.

Maybe there is some other way but that is all that occurs to me at this time.

Maybe someone else might come along with a brainwave.

Thanks ExBrit. Well, assuming there is no option in the BIOS menu to force an external display at boot, I am wondering if there is an option in the EasyRe OS (or whatever I should call the screen that pops up when I boot EasyRE) to select an external display? I can see a little bit of that screen and might be able to make such a swtich. Do you think you could check on your EasyRe version?

Maybe I will load up the Vista EasyRE on a Vista computer and see if there is some way in the EasyRe OS to output to external display. Then I could try to run through the steps with my little stamp of screen.

Last edited:
MAnual for Vista EasyRe?

Hi, I downloaded this and I would like to use but my laptop screen is mostly broken. I can only see the top lefthand corner of screen. I was hoping to try to do it blind but I'd need a manual or guide of some kind.

Can someone direct me to a manual?

Vista EasyRe Options

Hi, I am curious if there is an option in the EasyRE OS (is it an OS?) to change the monitor from my laptop monitor to an external display? If so could you provide some easy instructionnes?

You see, my laptop screen is almost dead--cracked LCD--and I can only see in the top left corner.

When I downloaded the CD, it was after minimal research which seemed to suggest that I'd be able to simply load and press a button to start an automatic recovery process. My mistake.

Any help you can provide in support of this would be great.

I will probably just get a new computer but I've paid for this vista recover disk and would like to see if I can get it to work for me.

Thanks!

OK, good luck.

Well, luck was with me. I plugged in my laptop to a LCD display via the VGA port. It did not work the first several times. The dang Lenovo computer does not have a Fn + key that outputs to external display. Instead they have a Fn + key that brings up a dialogue box to let you choose clone or external only. This wasn't working in Easy Re. I tried my other laptop and the Fn + keystrokes did work to output to external display.

Anyways, I was going to do it blind using two discs, one of my good computer and the other on the bad. Got through the first section of my hard drive. Restarted the computer and miraculously the laptop outputted to the external display when EasyRe started up. So yeah! I have no knowledge to share on the issue, except that I kept trying and it worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back