Vista Recovery CDs: A Quick Question

Hello Daniel, welcome to NST.
Unfortunately, that disk can only be used for repairs using Startup Repair, System Restore, or the Command Prompt. Reinstallations/service pack installs are not supported.

What I am trying to say is that I have sp2 installed but my disk has no service pack, I am getting an incompatible message and when I try to boot from my hard drive I get a disk read error.

- Daniel Sage

What I am trying to say is that I have sp2 installed but my disk has no service pack, I am getting an incompatible message and when I try to boot from my hard drive I get a disk read error.

- Daniel Sage
What does the bolded line mean? What disk? Ours? Again, our disk has nothing to do with any service packs...

If you're trying to boot your OS installation (be it XP, Vista, or Win 7), and getting a disk read error, that usually indicates a problem with your BIOS passing on control to your HDD's MBR.

Which "incompatible message" are you getting?

Sorry, but you're going to have to be a little more specific than that.

By my disk I mean, my Dell repair CD, but they refuse to give me another and the one that was supplied with my computer now gives me a compatibility error, because it does not have any service pack in it.

I am trying to fix vista, but I can not boot into windows.

I am getting the following error...

"This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disk that is compatible with this version of Windows."

This may be caused by the fact that my installation has Service Pack 2 and the CD contains no Service Pack.

I am sorry that I was not specific enough.

Ahh...ok, then in that case, yeah our recovery disk will be of some help. Once downloading the torrent, add it to a torrent client (for example, BitTorrent), use the torrent client to download the actual ISO file, and then burn the ISO file to a CD with ImgBurn. You'll then have a recovery disk.

After doing that, boot it (by placing the CD drive first in the boot sequence of the BIOS), after first disconnecting all HDDs but the one containing the OS failing to boot, select "Repair My Computer", run Startup Repair 2-3 times, and if its not booting after that, try running these commands from the Command Prompt:

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot

Now put the HDD back to first in the boot sequence of the BIOS, take the CD out, and attempt to boot normally.

Thank you for your help.

By the time that I saw your message I had already started the start up repairs and so far, so good.

I will be sure to keep this disk in a safe place.

Again, thank you for all of your help.

Addendum:

Everything went okay and this message was posted from the Vista computer.

Last edited:
Back