Vista Recovery Disc and GParted Live CD claim no devices can be found on my computer

A follow-up from:
Error Code: 0x80070002 // Vista - Packard Bell

The problem is coming back again and I cannot access desktop without being given a 0x76c063cb memory error which then closes everything and shuts down the computer. I tried to do a search on the code and can't seem to find anything

Vista Recovery Disc

image50.png

... and then I get "Hard disk problem is preventing Windows from starting"
Load drivers - and whatever I click on does not show up
In fact, when I click on Systems I get nothing

I was recommended to download the disc from torrent but I don't know where is the most reliable place to go.

GParted

image56.png

No devices can be found so I can't get this

I don't understand what is going on

Your drive has failed. Does it even appear in BIOS?

Chances are that it needs to be replaced and your backup restored to the new drive.

Disconnect/reconnect all the cables to your HDD several times (both ends of the data cable, at the HDD and the mobo). A disk can "disappear" simply because the connections are loose or dirty.
Eliminate that as a possible cause before you go buying a new drive.
Also try a different data cable (swap with another drive if you don't have a spare), just in case the cable has failed. If the cable is faulty, the problem will move with the cable.

Last edited:
Failed to calculate number of free clusters: input/output error
ERROR(S) : Opening dev/sda2 as NTFS failed: input/output error

NTFS is inconsistent. Run chkdsk/f on Windows then reboot TWICE

The usage of the /f parameter is very IMPORTANT! No modification was and will be made to NTFS by this software until it gets repaired

Unable to read the contents of this file system!
Because of this some operations may be unavailable

The cause might be a missing software package
The following list of software packages is required for ntfs file system support:
ntfsprogs

- from GParted

How do I run chkdsk/f ?
I can't access desktop.

Last edited:
Boot your Vista/7 DVD (or a repair disc if you don't have one) and choose the "command prompt" option.
Remember to include the target drive address in your chkdsk command
Syntax here

Read the last 2 lines.
If you don't get the target drive correct, it defaults to the running OS (the CD) which is of course write protected.

I gave you a link to the chkdsk syntax.
That will show you how to specify the drive you want to check (the target).
If you use the command
dir x:\
where x= a to z progressively
you'll see the contents of each partition/drive on your PC.
You should be able to spot which is the drive you are having problems with by its contents.
When you know which letter refers to the bad drive, insert that into the chkdsk command as described in the document I linked.

You'll only get information for the letters that exist. I doubt very much that you have 26 partitions/devices attached.
It doesn't matter about all the others. You're just trying to identify the letter for your broken OS.

You're not looking for a code. You're trying to identify which letter is being used to point to your broken drive.
You should recognize the contents of your drive. It will obviously contain the normal Windows folders and any that you put there.

You're just trying to find the correct letter for your broken OS partition (as seen from the command prompt).
Once you know it, just insert the letter into the chkdsk /r command, using the syntax in the link in post #6.
chkdsk ?: /r
Hopefully, chkdsk will find and fix the bad blocks.

Last edited:
If you've run chkdsk to the point where it says it can no longer find anything to repair and you're still getting your original HDD error message, then Abraxas's original reply that your HDD is toast is probably correct.
Are you still getting the same error as before, or something different ?

Back