Vista recovery on laptop

Jd Robo

Hello! There is a major problem with my laptop, any help will be great.

Earlier today, the laptop was working fine, logging into windows and running programs, however it was quite slow. I just finished exams and i wanted to have a fresh clean install of vista on the laptop. That's when the trouble started.

The laptop only came with a 'Recovery CD/DVD'. I put the DVD in, restart computer while also having BIOS set to read CD/DVD before HDD. The black screen with 'Windows is loading files' came up and quickly loaded, bringing me to the windows loading/splash screen (http://www.kavikmedia.com/images/Vista_background.jpg).

However, it just stayed like that. Now no matter what i do, Safe Mode, EMS, Last working settings, it all just brings me back to the splash screen background(no windows vista logo or anything). During this splash screen background i am able to move my mouse, even though there are no options to click.

I tried using the Vista recovery iso that has graciously been supplied by NeoSmart. This brings up the black screen with 'click any key to continue', but just leads me back to the empty splash screen background.

I've been trying to work out the problem myself for awhile now, but the closest ive come is; During start up, i press f9. I click 'Windows memory diagnostic'. And here are the results:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. Insert your windows installation disc and restart comp. ( i only have recovery DVD)
2. Choose your language settings, then click next. (i assume this option is what is supposed to come up during my splash screen background times)
3. click 'repair your computer.'

If you do not have this disc, contact admin/computer manufacturer
File: \boot\memtest.exe

Info: The selected entry could not be loaded; missing or corrupt.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited:
Our recovery disc won't help you do a clean install. Make sure your disc drive is top priority in boot sequence in the BIOS. You need to press a key when it tells you to to continue booting from disc otherwise it attempts to boot install on hard drive.

Back