Vista SP1 64 + Ubuntu 8.10, HELP.

biosound

hi, currently i have vista intalled on the system drive and ubuntu on the other, with easybcd i've added a linux entry, i has tried to add the linux entries and the neogrub.
15s1z77.png

in the boot menu after restart there are two menus with linux but not one of them is loading the linux, first is showing error, second only command promt with grub name, what should i do to load ubuntu??

sorry for bad english.

Hi Biosound. Welcome to NST.
Try deleting any existing Linux entries in the Add/Remove Entries section of EasyBCD, then creating a new entry under the Linux tab, making sure to point it at the correct drive and partition's Ubuntu is installed to (Drive 2, Partition 2 in the Devices menu), and remembering to check the box called "Grub isn't installed to the bootsector". :wink:
If its not working after that, then please boot from a LiveCD, and post the contents of the menu.lst located at /boot/grub/menu.lst, along with the output of the following command run from Applications>Accessories>Terminal:

Code:
sudo fdisk -l
The last letter is a lowercase "L".

Cheers.

-Coolname007

hi, after that i've intalled new vista copy on the same drive as ubuntu, and it impossible to load ubuntu.
i thinking that the vista overwrited the ubuntus mbr, so how can i load it again??
EasyBCD now not showing it's entry.
33vnf9c.png

hi, after that i've intalled new vista copy on the same drive as ubuntu, and it impossible to load ubuntu.
i thinking that the vista overwrited the ubuntus mbr, so how can i load it again??
EasyBCD now not showing it's entry.
Looks like you accidentally formatted the entire disk with the Vista setup. :frowning: Which means you don't have Ubuntu anymore. You will need to reinstall Ubuntu to a separate partition, and put its bootloader in the bootsector, instead of the MBR, so Vista can remain in charge. To do that, simply select the "Advanced" option during the Ubuntu setup, and type in a location like /dev/sda2 (first hard drive in the BIOS boot sequence, second partition in the MBR partition table), and Grub will be installed to that partition and your Vista MBR will remain intact. Then simply add an entry to Vista's boot menu with EasyBCD, using the normal Linux option (with the "Grub is not installed" option selected), and it should work perfectly fine.
Cheers.

Last edited:
Back